Converting an old router

moochy

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Hey :)

this is my first post here so bear with me :p

At the moment i have an old U.S. Robotics Broadband Router (Model # 8000-02, Version V2.5). Like some NAS devices out there that have an FTP server built in, i'd very much like to find a similar device that does the same for HTTP. nothing too complex, just a simple HTTP server in the form of a router, like the one mentioned above.

im not sure if such a device exists (see Buffalo on google for NAS devices with FTP servers built-in) but wondered if anyone here could suggest some products, or even a potential way of converting an old router, such as the one i mentioned above to serve such a task. is converting a router in this fasion even possible?

any advice on this question would be great :D im basically trying to avoid running a small pc as a server, for reasons of power consumption and noise.

thanks

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

What you are looking for is "http" this is port 80 something like a Apache Server.

You can run server software on any pc. Or use a NAS box that allow for hosting (SnapAppliance). Which is now owned by Adaptec is one that supports web hosting, ftp as well as NAS functions for Mac (v8.6+) and PC's. All of their NAS boxes will work as web server. All you will need to do is a port forward from your existing router.