Question Cooler master argb hub confusion

cgodnizzyshd

Distinguished
May 25, 2016
Long story short, I want to upgrade a old pc with some RGB. The motherboard has no RGB headers on it.

Then I saw this controller MFP-ACBN-NNUNN-R1. It's a cooler master argb hub. It's bigger than the argb small controller.

This controller, MFP-ACBN-NNUNN-R1, is not listed as being compatible with masterplus+ software.

Is this a mistake, does MFP-ACBN-NNUNN-R1 controller not work with masterplus+. This has me very confused. It looks like a better small argb controller, but somehow not supported by masterplus.

Seeing all this after I have bought a masterbox TD500 mesh argb. Will be adding 4 more argb fans (cm SF argb). Is my project dead now, or the controller works, was mistakenly not listed.

Thank you for any help.

Link to MFP-ACBN-NNUNN-R1 https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/rgb-accessories/argb-led-controller/#item1

Link to small argb controller https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/rgb-accessories/argb-led-small-controller/#item1

Masterplus compatibility list https://masterplus.coolermaster.com/

Apologies for typos/grammar.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The Cooler Master web pages for this one and their smaller A-RGB LED Small Controller are poor in this repect. Neither makes any mention of using their MasterPlus+ software utility. The closest they come is that the manual for the larger unit points out that you can make a cable connection from its USB2 socket to a mobo USB2 header.

A few years ago the info for the smaller unit said its USB2 socket could be used to update the firmware of that unit, with almost no details. More recently I read other stories about these units and the new MasterPlus+, so I sent Cooler Master a request for clarification. Their reply said that for BOTH of those Controllers you can connect to a mobo USB2 header and run the MasterPlus+ utility. With that you can do any firmware updates, but more importantly you CAN use it to control the lighting displays from your keyboard.

That is the ONLY info I have found about this capability. I have never seen any user comments on whether anyone has really used this feature. I find it really odd that Cooler Master does not highlight this - it is an excellent feature that very few third-party Controllers can offer. For you, OP, I suggest you do something similar. Contact Cooler Master Sales or Tech Support and get a clear answer about:
  1. Can you use MasterPlus+ with the Addressable RGB LED Controller when connected from the USB2 socket to a mobo USB2 header?
  2. Exactly what functions are available when you do that? Does it give you control of lighting display configuration settings? Can it be used also for firmware updates of the unit?

Last edited:
Reactions: cgodnizzyshd

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
As an alternative to consider, check the Razer Chroma Addressable RGB Controller

https://www.razer.com/gaming-pc-acc...addressable-rgb-controller/RZ34-02140600-R3U1

It is used with their Synapse 3 software utility. It is a stand-alone ARGB Controller configured by software, and can handle any ARGB lighting device that uses the now-common 3-pin connector (better called a (4-1 Pin), because it looks like it had 4 pins but has one missing). It has 6 output ports, gets power from the PSU via a supplied adapter cable, and connects to a USB2 mobo header for communication with Synapse 3. It does NOT have any port for input of an ARGB signal from a mobo header, but your mobo does not have that, anyway - that's why we are here.

Beyond just needing an ARGB Controller to power and control ARGB lights when your mobo lacks that feature, you also will be interested in WHAT lighting displays can be generated. As a general rule, these third-party controllers each have their own menu of display choices in terms of patterns, pattern changes, colours, and speed of changes. Those choices differ from one maker to another, so you might want to look for videos of actual use to get an impression of what each Controller can do.

Reactions: cgodnizzyshd

cgodnizzyshd

Distinguished
May 25, 2016
Just in time before I bought the CM controller, thought CM was the only one that made a controller like that.

Unfortunately it's 2.5 times more expensive than the CM one, in my country. (The CM one was already overpriced).

Will look at reviews like you suggested. See if it's worth the extra cost.

Thank you you have been a great help.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021
Hi All

is there any news on this topic ?
ADDRESSABLE RGB LED CONTROLLER (MFP-ACBN-NNUNN-R1) is still not compatible with MasterPlus :( :( :(
i'm very sad, do i really need to move to Razer Chroma Addressable RGB Controller ?

Dec 31, 2021
As an alternative to consider, check the Razer Chroma Addressable RGB Controller

https://www.razer.com/gaming-pc-acc...addressable-rgb-controller/RZ34-02140600-R3U1

It is used with their Synapse 3 software utility. It is a stand-alone ARGB Controller configured by software, and can handle any ARGB lighting device that uses the now-common 3-pin connector (better called a (4-1 Pin), because it looks like it had 4 pins but has one missing). It has 6 output ports, gets power from the PSU via a supplied adapter cable, and connects to a USB2 mobo header for communication with Synapse 3. It does NOT have any port for input of an ARGB signal from a mobo header, but your mobo does not have that, anyway - that's why we are here.

Beyond just needing an ARGB Controller to power and control ARGB lights when your mobo lacks that feature, you also will be interested in WHAT lighting displays can be generated. As a general rule, these third-party controllers each have their own menu of display choices in terms of patterns, pattern changes, colours, and speed of changes. Those choices differ from one maker to another, so you might want to look for videos of actual use to get an impression of what each Controller can do.

Thank you for posting this. I've been looking at the Coolermaster controllers. They're sparse right now too. The Razer controller comes with all the cables. Although it hooks up with Molex (11A per pin vs 1.5A per pin). I have a modular power supply and just looked and have 2 Molex cables. This is all new to me and my mobo (MSI B450 Tomahawk Max) only have RGB headers.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
All of these third-party Controllers need a power supply. Almost all rely on connecting to a standard output from the PSU, and by far the most common ones to use are either the older 4-pin Molex female output or the newer SATA power output. On most PSU's, including modular ones, you WILL find BOTH of those types of outputs available. Often the two types are on the same sets of wires, sometimes with a small third type of power output connector for the older 3½" floppy drives. Sometimes, however, the Molex ones are only on a modular cable with some others (often SATA) that you don't happen to need so you never used them and you have to go back to your spare parts to find the right modular cable to use. Either way, these power source connectors are on wires from the PSU, NOT part of the mobo.

Dec 31, 2021
All of these third-party Controllers need a power supply. Almost all rely on connecting to a standard output from the PSU, and by far the most common ones to use are either the older 4-pin Molex female output or the newer SATA power output. On most PSU's, including modular ones, you WILL find BOTH of those types of outputs available. Often the two types are on the same sets of wires, sometimes with a small third type of power output connector for the older 3½" floppy drives. Sometimes, however, the Molex ones are only on a modular cable with some others (often SATA) that you don't happen to need so you never used them and you have to go back to your spare parts to find the right modular cable to use. Either way, these power source connectors are on wires from the PSU, NOT part of the mobo.

After spending most of last night and half of today I have a better understanding of what controllers are good, bad, and everything in between. I ordered the Razer controller. It'll do everything I need it to do. I ordered it from Amazon (direct from Razer). If something happens it's always easier returning to Amazon than direct to the manufacturer.

As far as my PSU. I never hooked up the Molex. No need these days till now.
Thanks for all the input.