Jul 20, 2020
Hello all! I hope everyone reading this thread is doing fine. I'm planning to build my first ever PC by the end of the year with these specs:
CaseCooler Master H500 / NZXT H510
MotherboardASRock b550
CPUAMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
RAMXPG 3200mhz (2x8gb) 16GB
Graphics CardRTX 2060 Super Gigabyte Windforce OC
PSUCooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80 Bronze
Thermal Paste (just in case lol)Arctic MX-4

Since I'm new to PC building and have only seen other people build PCs I'd like to know what kind of fan setup that's needed for the Cooler Master H500 or NZXT H510. I'm not planning to OC anything however I do want to keep temps really cool and I've read some threads that said the airflow on the H510 is quite bad so I think I'll be going for the CM H500 instead but I'd like to know your answers regarding these cases. Also I'm trying to avoid using AIOs for budgetary reasons. Would included stock coolers be alright for this build? If not, what kind of fans and fan setup would you recommend for the cases? :)

TL;DR Which case should I choose? What fans/fan setup do I need?

Last edited:
Solution
Cooler Master's H500: simple enough. It comes with 3 fans - 2x 200mm in the front, and a single 120mm in the rear. I'd just add a single 140 up top, or 2x 120s, as long as the 1st fan doesn't interfere with air entering a cpu tower cooler - this doesn't apply to area coolers like the Wraith.

NZXT 510: this chassis cools well - it's just misunderstood. Air cooling only, the stock config of top and rear exhaust only is the best overall. The H510 Elite defies this, having preinstalled fans in the front; they should also be at the top and rear.
The moment you add liquid coolers to the mix, the above changes. The front should be saved for a 240/280mm AIO/CLC to be used on the 'hottest' component between the cpu and gpu, which for the...

Lutfij

Titan
Thank you for the concern of the audience! ;) Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For either case, just make sure that your intake and exhaust are the same. You can have the front of the case as intakes while the top and rear can be points for exhaust. I would leave the top mounts alone, have them ventilate the heat via convection currents.

The stock cooler'll be fine! Also, if you can, I'd build an matx system, no point going atx unless you need the extra PCIe lanes off the board. Asus have a B550M board with built in WiFi.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cooler Master's H500: simple enough. It comes with 3 fans - 2x 200mm in the front, and a single 120mm in the rear. I'd just add a single 140 up top, or 2x 120s, as long as the 1st fan doesn't interfere with air entering a cpu tower cooler - this doesn't apply to area coolers like the Wraith.

NZXT 510: this chassis cools well - it's just misunderstood. Air cooling only, the stock config of top and rear exhaust only is the best overall. The H510 Elite defies this, having preinstalled fans in the front; they should also be at the top and rear.
The moment you add liquid coolers to the mix, the above changes. The front should be saved for a 240/280mm AIO/CLC to be used on the 'hottest' component between the cpu and gpu, which for the majority of gaming setups, is going to be the gpu, in which case, NZXT intended for the user to use their Kraken G10/G12 mounting kit. These require Asetek-made coolers though.

Reactions: GarrettL
Solution
Jul 20, 2020

The moment you add liquid coolers to the mix, the above changes. The front should be saved for a 240/280mm AIO/CLC to be used on the 'hottest' component between the cpu and gpu, which for the majority of gaming setups, is going to be the gpu, in which case, NZXT intended for the user to use their Kraken G10/G12 mounting kit. These require Asetek-made coolers though.
Between the NZXT H510 and NZXT H510 Elite, would you say the latter would have better airflow since it has the included two intake fans in the front?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Would you recommend that I use the H510 case and install additional intake fans?
No.
Set it up as I mentioned in my first post. This chassis does not need front intake fans if only air cooling; adding front intakes is worse.
The front should be reserved for a 240/280mm liquid cooler on the hottest part between the cpu and gpu. In the case of your current hardware, that's the RTX 2060.

Reactions: IAmNotJeff
Alright, and if I choose to install without liquid coolers, I should just keep it with the stock configuration right?
Thank you so much for the help!

Everything Phaaze88 said is correct about the NZXT 500 series.

When used as intended it's a great case. I have a 3800x and a 2070 Super in my 500H and it's silent when web browsing. The fans kick up a little when gaming but it's still quiet. My gpu maxes out at 54C when gaming. It's a good case for your set up.

Reactions: IAmNotJeff