Oct 25, 2021
I was in the process of copying image files from my PC to a USB stick (for back-up) and everything was going fine until about 75% complete when I received notification that said 'the file has properties that can't be copied to the new location' and 'Are you sure you want to copy this file without it's properties' ? I clicked 'Yes' only for another file with the same issue appear and yet another and another and another until I clicked on 'Do this for all current items'. There were many files with this issue.

When the copying was complete I looked in the USB stick contents and all the images with those properties issue were there and available to view.

So, can anyone tell me what these notifications are all about ?

Does it mean (for example) that if I wanted to view the pics using the USB stick on my TV, DVD player or PS4 the files with the properties issue wouldn't be viewable ?
I wanted to post a screenshot here but I don't see any option for doing that.

Solution
Your error message is probably because the source files are stored on a NTFS file system (default for Windows) while the USB stick are probably formatted as FAT/ExFAT.

So NTFS support some extra file properties such as user restrictions and much more, while FAT/ExFAT does not support this extra file attributes.

Say you have some files that have a setting so that only the user Pinkie1547 are supposed to have access, then it makes perfect sense that the OS will ask question if that the file should still be copied to a storage device that cannot have such file properties after you copy it. Because after you copy, then everybody will have full access to any files.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
TH forum doesn't have the option to upload images directly. You have to post a link to an image hosted elsewhere. Imgur (imgur.com) is the favourite. Create an account there, upload the image, copy the link provided on the site and post it here. Out of several types of link offered, the BBCode will make the image to appear in your post.

Regarding your last question, I suggest you plug your USB stick into any of those devices and see if the images can be viewed.

Your error message is probably because the source files are stored on a NTFS file system (default for Windows) while the USB stick are probably formatted as FAT/ExFAT.

So NTFS support some extra file properties such as user restrictions and much more, while FAT/ExFAT does not support this extra file attributes.

Say you have some files that have a setting so that only the user Pinkie1547 are supposed to have access, then it makes perfect sense that the OS will ask question if that the file should still be copied to a storage device that cannot have such file properties after you copy it. Because after you copy, then everybody will have full access to any files.

Solution