Correct Voltages?

BlackWyvern3

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, to most of you I am the thorn in your side! I come on here and ask, seemingly, asinine questions. I am by no means a technically inclined person, but I do enjoy dabbling with it and seeing what I can come up with. My newest project was to build a computer... I have a KT7 Raid mobo, 1.1 ghz athlon, 256 megs of PC 133 ram(which is good ram because I took it out and tested it with a friends ram and I still have the same problem), GE Force 2 MX card and an old 8 gig harddrive. My problem is that mysystem is very unstable. I was lead to believe that the KT7 VIA chipset was the problem in all my instablilty issues, adn perhaps it is, but I want to eliminate every possibility. I once heard a friend talking about increasing or decreasing voltage values can yield a more stable machine. I checked my BIOS and under the CPU settings, the voltage settings there are
Core Voltage= 1.750 v
I/O Voltage= 3.30 v
and then I checked the PC health status screen and these are the voltage values I got form there..
Core Voltage= 1.82v
3.3V = 3.35v
5v = 5.02v
12v = 12.00v

My question is what do you guys think I should do? what is the deal with voltage, and remember you are speaking to a relative newbie with this whole deal... My system freezing at times for no reason... I have checked a lot of things and I am trying to eliminate everything before I look into buying new parts and stuff..

Any help is greatly appreciated

BlackWyvern3

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks a lot phsstpot. Eventhough you confirmed the thorn part, I do very much appreciate your reponce. I posted in both forums because it seemed that it may have been pertaining to both forums. You did not, however, see me post it in a non relative forum. Thanks though. Upping the voltage one notch seems to have done the trick so far.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry I forgot "lol" at the end.

Also, somehow I had managed to read both your posts with only 5 or 6 posts in between and you know with deja vu it seemed like 4 posts.

LOL!