[SOLVED] Corsair HX850i and 12 pin CPU connector

martin.draculla.maric

Commendable
May 22, 2018
Hello, I would like to ask a question. I'm building new PC and I have ASUS ROG Strix X570-E with new Ryzen 5800X. I found out that motherboard has generic CPU 8pin and next to it is additional 4pin connector. But my PSU has only 8pin CPU cable. How should I solve this? Should I split additional 8pin and plug in just half of cable and then plug in 8pin to PCIE section of my PSU? Or do I need that additional 4pin?

Last edited:
Solution
Hello, I would like to ask a question. I'm building new PC and I have ASUS ROG Strix X570-E with new Ryzen 5800X. I found out that motherboard has generic CPU 8pin and next to it is additional 4pin connector. But my PSU has only 8pin CPU cable. How should I solve this? Should I split additional 8pin and plug in just half of cable and then plug in 8pin to PCIE section of my PSU? Or do I need that additional 4pin?

FYI: You're paragraph here is correct, but the title of your post is not. There is no "12-pin CPU power connector". There's an 8-pin and a 4-pin. Remember that for next time.

Also I have some problem with CPU cable. It is not same on both ends. Both motherboard and PSU has same connectors but cable has...
HX850i has 2 EPS cables. One you plug in the 8 pin and the other one you split in half, put 4 pin in the socket and let the other 4 pin hanging around.
BTW is pluging in the 4 pin additional, only when you want to OC the last juice out of your cpu.

martin.draculla.maric

Commendable
May 22, 2018
Also I have some problem with CPU cable. It is not same on both ends. Both motherboard and PSU has same connectors but cable has different ends.

top row - inner two should be squares
bottom row - outer two should be squares.

Is this some manufacturing issue or what is going on. I never had this problem before with my previous PSUs.

One end is correct for both motherboard and PSU but another one is weird. And its on both CPU cables. They are marked as CPU

Image:
WxMfUXP.jpg

FYI: You're paragraph here is correct, but the title of your post is not. There is no "12-pin CPU power connector". There's an 8-pin and a 4-pin. Remember that for next time.

Also I have some problem with CPU cable. It is not same on both ends. Both motherboard and PSU has same connectors but cable has different ends.

top row - inner two should be squares
bottom row - outer two should be squares.

Is this some manufacturing issue or what is going on. I never had this problem before with my previous PSUs.

One end is correct for both motherboard and PSU but another one is weird. And its on both CPU cables. They are marked as CPU

Image:
WxMfUXP.jpg

There is nothing wrong here. The one on the left is the 4+4-pin (can be used as either a 4-pin when split in half or an 8-pin when kept together) that would plug into the motherboard and the one on the right is the connector that plugs into the power supply.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS