Question Corsair One Elite CPU upgrade?

vouqez

Commendable
Aug 24, 2018
I recently purchased a Corsair One Elite, running the 8700K.
I have also had an offer for a very very reasonably priced 9700K, so reasonably priced that I would be able to sell the 8700K, used and be in profit so I very intrestd in possibly switching out the 8700K to the 9700K, enjoying the slight speed increase and making a bit of money in the process.
My issue is with motherboard comparability. Looking at CPU-Z it seems to show the motherboard as a 'Z370I CORSAIR ONE (MS-7B43)', which when googling comes up as the MSI Z370I Gaming Pro Carbon AC, which states it should support the 9th gen processor in question however I would like to confirm before going ahead as the board is quite obviously running custom software / bios and seems to have the top VRM heatsink removed for space saving reasons.
The bios version is 2.CA and dated as 06/25/2018. Is this a custom BIOS version for the corsair one?
Would the Motherboard be compatible with the 9700K? Or is this a board specifically modified and locked for the one CPU?

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
The mobo with a BIOS update support the 9th gen CPU. But even if you gain some money, what's the point? You may lose your warranty and time. And you don't know in what condition is that 9700k. In my opinion isn't worth it at all, but is in your own. Back to the support, yes, will work.

vouqez

Commendable
Aug 24, 2018
Thanks for the response, If they void warranty by taking it apart then I have broken it already, I changed all the drives (which involves taking out the entire motherboard) and put new thermal paste on both the CPU and GPU. I have also installed a new fan and plan to change the ram in future.
The CPU is a new warranty replacement my friend is looking to get rid of.

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
Oh okey, i see. So then go ahead, update the BIOS and get the 9700k. Warranty is for original components and original state, if you already open it and changed cpu and gpu thermal paste, drives and a fan, warranty must be off.

vouqez

Commendable
Aug 24, 2018
Still unsure if it is compatible, the Corsair one motherboard is using a custom BIOS by Corsair and I am worried it may not function correctly or could brick if I change the BIOS to a MSI bios.

I think I'd stick with the 8700k. The slight speed increase will more than likely not be noticeable, and you lose 4 threads. Which may or may not come in handy in the future. It's totally up to you though.

But the bios should support the 9700k. If anything reach out to corsair and ask. They have pretty good customer service.

Reactions: Phaaze88

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
I think I'd stick with the 8700k. The slight speed increase will more than likely not be noticeable, and you lose 4 threads. Which may or may not come in handy in the future. It's totally up to you though.

But the bios should support the 9700k. If anything reach out to corsair and ask. They have pretty good customer service.
Im with you, corsair service is so good and the performance gain is not worth but if he got that situation, let him decide