Nov 20, 2021
So, I just built myself a new gaming PC and everything was fine at first. But then I tried to play the latest Assassin's Creed game and... my system started to reboot randomly. System log says "Kernel-Power 41 (63) (70368744177664),(2)". Which looks suspiciously like a PSU problem. The problem is - I'm on Corsair RM850x + RTX 3090 + Intel i9 combo. And both ASUS website and the store that sold me my hardware claim that 850w is more than enough for RTX3090 + Intel i9. Now here's the question - should I pay more and switch to more powerful PSU, or my problem can lie somewhere else? I mean, it only happened in one game so far. And it happens at random (can happen in, like, 20 minutes, while sometimes I don't have any problems for hours). Doesn't look like a faulty PSU to me. On the other hand, Assassin's Creed sure puts the hardware to the test. Could it be that RTX3090 may need more than 850w despite what everybody claims? Thanks in advance.

P.S. My OS is Windows 11 Pro.

Solution
Ah, OK. It's just on ASUS's website it says just "i9 family". Mine is i9-11900K on ASUS Z-590F motherboard with latest BIOS. Aside from that, there are four Kingston Fury Beast RAM kits (32Gb each) and Samsung 980 PRO (2TB). Nothing else. No HDD, no optical drive, nothing. Just CPU, GPU, RAM and SSD.
And which 3090? That cpu has a very high peak power requirement of its own. If paired with a 3090 with an aggressive factory overclock I could understand 850w might not be enough.
Nov 20, 2021
Ah, OK. It's just on ASUS's website it says just "i9 family". Mine is i9-11900K on ASUS Z-590F motherboard with latest BIOS. Aside from that, there are four Kingston Fury Beast RAM kits (32Gb each) and Samsung 980 PRO (2TB). Nothing else. No HDD, no optical drive, nothing. Just CPU, GPU, RAM and SSD.

And which 3090? That cpu has a very high peak power requirement of its own. If paired with a 3090 with an aggressive factory overclock I could understand 850w might not be enough.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution