Question Could i7 11700 bottleneck RTX 4070 12gb ?

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
Im plannig on upgrading my rtx 3060ti 8gb to the rtx 4070 ...however I'm skeptical on how it could behave together with my cpu ...could you guys please clear it for me ? I play at 1080p res and prioritize higher framerates when possible

Lutfij

Titan
You're being vague in the sense that you didn't mention;
1| The full specs to your build. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

2| What sort of app's/titles you tax the system with

3| Why you're upgrading. You're spending too much for 1080p gaming, if gaming is your reason for upgrading.

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
I' currently not home but I will elaborate what I know ... My gpu and cpu are listed above
ram - 2×8gb ram ddr4 2666mhz
500gb samsung 980 m2 nvme ssd
Antec a400 cpu cooler
Platinum+ graded 500W psu (will clarify model when I get home, forgot details )
Motherboard will clarify aswell
Monitor - Asus rog 144hz gsync that I bought 4 years ago . I mostly open world games and demanding games such as RDR2 , ps exclusives , games with ray tracing , want to try Black myth Wukong and other similar modern titles . 1080p resolution is fine for me - with the right AA such as DLAA and a bit of sharpening , games don't look enough blurry for me to justify jumping to 1440p , I don't care enough . With how the gaming industry runs today , I don't trust developers to optimized their games and prefer to focus more on higher frame rates such as 80-100 without worries for droppings or setting droppings (eventually I would have to I get it ) (besides , I got the rtx 3060ti and cpu as a gift so I didn't spend that much for 1080p gaming )

Last edited:
Hey there,

So, at 1080p, yes there will be some 'bottleneck', but not crazy. If it were 1440p and above I'd say your CPU is just fine. It's also just fine at 1080p. Will you miss the difference between lets say 150 FPS with your 11th Gen CPU, and a 12th/13th Gen version, no, not really. If you absolutely have to have the max FPS/hz, then you'd need a platform change. Too much cost for what it is.

At 1080p, the 4070 is very solid, and not many games would make it creak. Unreal Engine 5 though and newer game engines are changin that though.

If I were you, I'd get some faster ram (3600mhz CL16 or lower) a better cooler and OC your CPU a little. They run pretty cool with a moderate OC.

PSU - You need a new one, regardless of grade. 500w is not enough for the 4070, and you must also factor in power spikes. I'd be going with a decent 750w like Corsair RMx 750.

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
Hey there,

So, at 1080p, yes there will be some 'bottleneck', but not crazy. If it were 1440p and above I'd say your CPU is just fine. It's also just fine at 1080p. Will you miss the difference between lets say 150 FPS with your 11th Gen CPU, and a 12th/13th Gen version, no, not really. If you absolutely have to have the max FPS/hz, then you'd need a platform change. Too much cost for what it is.

At 1080p, the 4070 is very solid, and not many games would make it creak. Unreal Engine 5 though and newer game engines are changin that though.

If I were you, I'd get some faster ram (3600mhz CL16 or lower) a better cooler and OC your CPU a little. They run pretty cool with a moderate OC.

PSU - You need a new one, regardless of grade. 500w is not enough for the 4070, and you must also factor in power spikes. I'd be going with a decent 750w like Corsair RMx 750.
My rtx 3060 has the same psu power 'requirement' - 650w And the pc runs just fine with 500w ...temps are pretty high but only because the room temp is close to 30C without AC turned on .Otherwise , upgrading my psu could be quite challenging with the cable configuration and the very small size of my pc . Also can't overclock my cpu as it is not 'k' ...ram could easily upgrade ...is it necessary to change the cpu cooler ?

My rtx 3060 has the same psu power 'requirement' - 650w And the pc runs just fine with 500w
This is not the same, and there are reasons a recommended PSU is highlighted. That you have no problems is as much down to luck as anything else. But, okay, if that's your reasoning, that's fine by me. You stick with what you know.

Also can't overclock my cpu as it is not 'k'
Sorry, yes. I just noticed that.

Cooler wise, what temps are you hitting at gaming load? If it's in the 80c or above range, then getting a better cooler will allow your CPU to boost higher and for longer periods, yielding better performance.

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
This is not the same, and there are reasons a recommended PSU is highlighted. That you have no problems is as much down to luck as anything else. But, okay, if that's your reasoning, that's fine by me. You stick with what you know.

Sorry, yes. I just noticed that.

Cooler wise, what temps are you hitting at gaming load? If it's in the 80c or above range, then getting a better cooler will allow your CPU to boost higher and for longer periods, yielding better performance.
No AC in room - 80-84C . With AC in room - 75-79C (GPU) ..oh didn't notice you talked about cpu I don't really pay attention to the cpu temps as the paste is new and so is the cooler...do you think that 500w could cause problems with an RTX 4070 ? I don't even raise the resolution by any means ( You are right , I'm not that knowledgeable at this ) . Games seem to run jut fine with my current card , barely any crashes if any , no freezes or system shutdowns ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
No AC in room - 80-84C . With AC in room - 75-79C (GPU)
These temps are okay. Although 84c is throttle territory for the GPU.

For the PSU, you may or may not have issues. Hard to tell. 500w is way on the low side. With that said, if you are not OC the GPU, and aren't running stress tests all the time, then it may be enough for now. Just worth considering down the line, if you do have issues.

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
These temps are okay. Although 84c is throttle territory for the GPU.

For the PSU, you may or may not have issues. Hard to tell. 500w is way on the low side. With that said, if you are not OC the GPU, and aren't running stress tests all the time, then it may be enough for now. Just worth considering down the line, if you do have issues.
Gpu seems to be overclocked 'out of the box" judging by the clocks ...could I damage my pc parts if eventually 500w is indeed not enough for rtx 4070 or would the pc shut down automatically?