Question Could you tell me if these things work together ?

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
Hi guys,

I am about to get myself some new Hardware for my a little older system, in which the latest is a RTX 3070 Ti from end of 2022. But everything else is really dated.
The last few days I took the time to find some parts that I like, which I want to replace.
But some stuff i am just not sure, if they would fit together in terms of how things fit, literally.
So maybe some of you here have have real life experiences with some or multiple of those pieces, and could tell me if it fits.

CASE:
I am undecided with those 2. I like both, but there are some issues i have maybe with each of them, things I heard that maybe can be a problem.

Code:
- CORSAIR 7000D AIR FLOW

With that one I heard that the hdd cages are kinda loose, and that even with just being in there. Once drives are starting to spin, that rattle isnt fun at all. I wonder if anyone of you maybe has this case, and still uses hdd's ^^ and could maybe shed some light about it.

Code:
- ASUS TUF GAMING 502

Technically i'd like this case even more, but because i have 2x 3,5" hdd's & 4x 2,5" SSD's, and still want to add quite some fans to this case, i think this might be too many drives to put in there, including some more fans. Anyone here has this case and maybe also hdd's and can tell me how this fits, and how many drives fit ?
MAINBOARD:
Code:
- MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI

I never used many MSI boards, i remember some old Gigabytes in the long lost past of me. But other than that, i usually had ASUS mainboards. But there are more and more people saying that ASUS aint really good, but rather more expensive than what its worth.
For this build, the board can go up to 400,- Euro. That's how much I can plan for that component.

Is that MSI board any good, it is from the Specs as far as I can see. I need some with a lot of USB , in my experience you can never have enough of, unless you want to go major into hubs etc. But any information from real life owners of that board would be helpful.

On the other side, would there be a ASUS board comparible to that MSI, which I could also consider "around" that price segment ?

RAM:

As for that, i already asked about it and @Darkbreeze was so kind and helped me out in that regard. ;)
Code:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/looking-for-ram-for-the-msi-mpg-z790-edge-wifi-ddr4-ddr5.3807413/

CPU:

Code:
- Intel i7 13700k

That decision was already solved from the start, since I only upgrade my hardware between 3 -5 years, i would like to go with that one.

CPU COOLING:

I already had a CORSAIR H150i with the old / current system for many years, and I would like to stick with that for the new build. But of course, since what i have is antique, i would need a new version.

Code:
- Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT White

Does anyone have that one ??? What's your experience with that.

Code:
- NZXT Kraken Elite 360 RGB white

Alternatively i am also wondering about this one. As I said, i dont buy hardware all too often. So I might as well get myself something nice, while I am replacing stuff. I kinda like this one too, but I wonder how it would all fit with the rest of the system. Either within the 2 possible Cases above, or also in combination with RGB fan stuff (Controllers/Hubs), which I currently have a Corsair Commander Pro in this case atm.

So, what of those 2 (please, lets stick to those 2 ;) ) would you get, and which case of those above would this fit best to ? If you have any of these components together, i would really love the input. Maybe even some screenshots, that would help me see how it would fit and look in the case.

CASE FANS:

Well I want to stick to RGB, i like it, its that simple. :)

When i would go with either of those 2 cases above, what would be best for that ? I suppose, which I also have some of already in this old build here atm, in the Corsair 7000D the fans of Corsair would fit best. Also in combination with the Corsair Commander Pro. But lets say, I would go with the Asus TUF Gaming 502, which fans would be best then ? Also considering that the fans of the NZXT AIO would be different again, so what do best ? Stick with one brand of fans, or would it be ok to stick with other fans too, that maybe are from a different brand than the Corsair.

If you guys could let me know about some of that stuff, best would be if you got some of that stuff in use and know more about it, I would really appreciate it. Right now my head is spinning , i just dont know if it all fits. I dont want to find out once i have that stuff all here, that things arent fitting or that i would get issues with some of these things.

So any info i have about that before, helps me finalize that order soon and hopefully soon get into building it. And I am not an expert builder when it comes to PC stuff, not even close. ;) So for me personally other solutions like custom Water cooling etc. or really fancy case builds are not within my grasp anytime soon. So I stick with stuff that is ok for what it is, out of the box. I just need it to work and look pretty. ;)

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give me.

Cheers

Hi,

Regarding the case, the 5000D is a full tower case, the Asus GT 502 looks like the O11 and also looks to be big. Case is subjective, just check for the features and choose the one you like the most. You just have to check for GPU length clearance with/without radiator clearance and HDD mounting options if you have any, front panel connectors to name a few...

Depends on how large the 3070ti card you have. you can go for a smaller case if you want. I like the Lian Li 216 or the Be Quiet Dark Base 500DX. Both the 216 and the 500DX come in white.

MSI boards are good, i would not go for the low end mobos, but the edge is not low end. alternatively u can look at the Prime A. white mobo to compliment your part choice.

If you plan on overclocking the 13700k, it will run hot and pull about 250W. I would suggest the best AIO in the market - Arctic liquid freezer ii 360 - ARGB. I dont think it comes in white. Since you are in europe, the EK Nucleus is also a good option and comes in white. The NZXT is overpriced, if u ask my opinion.

You have not said anything about your PSU. if its more than 5 years old, might be good to change it unless you have one with a 10 year warranty. The corsair RMe 750 is a good choice.

Regarding case fans, one of the most popular ones are the Lian Li uni fans V2. Cant go wrong with Noctua chromax.

If you can tell us the location/country and budget, that would help us a lot.

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
Hi.

Thanks for your reply. My Power Supply is a BeQuiet Straight Power 750 Watt, which should still be under 5 years. And its running fine so far. But my current system has an older i7 8700k, and so far its all running fine. I would not like to add another piece of hardware if necessary. From what I read, the i7 13700k & RTX 3070 would still be fine with 750 Watt. Overclocking isnt planned atm, but I always had an K CPU , just in case. ;)

And its the Corsair 7000D, not the 5000d. ;)

My Asus RTX 3070 Ti is about 318mm long in size.

I checked out the fans, the Lian Li Uni V2, doesnt look bad. Pricey, but nice.

And I would still prefer as case the Asus TUF Gaming 502, but from what I saw on Videos etc. it could be too tight with 2 HDD's, 4 SSD's (2.5) and still have space left to possibly add fans to the right side as well. The tower is kinda nice, but I think there is it's weak point. I am still rocking some more traditional drives, not really much m.2 SSD (although i have one), but more SSD's in the traditional size and some hdd's. In time i will replace that, but i cant afford to that all now at once.

I currently have my old & gigantic (which I love, dont get me wrong) Cooler Master C700P. Its a beast, and i would normally not part with it, but times have changed. Which means also space has decreased in the room, so i would need some a tiny little smaller (not a big fan of too small), but because i had to change some things here, the space for my current tower is just a bit too tight.
There are many towers, but not many I really liked. Not to mention that I also like things like with many possible fans in the case.

I wonder, lets say one would buy a case with 10 or more possible fans you can put in. At what point does the amount of fans not add too much to the overall power the PC requires to run, and so to require a larger power supply, just because of the many fans one might put in ?

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Hi,

Regarding the case, the 5000D is a full tower case, the Asus GT 502 looks like the O11 and also looks to be big. Case is subjective, just check for the features and choose the one you like the most. You just have to check for GPU length clearance with/without radiator clearance and HDD mounting options if you have any, front panel connectors to name a few...

Depends on how large the 3070ti card you have. you can go for a smaller case if you want. I like the Lian Li 216 or the Be Quiet Dark Base 500DX. Both the 216 and the 500DX come in white.

MSI boards are good, i would not go for the low end mobos, but the edge is not low end. alternatively u can look at the Prime A. white mobo to compliment your part choice.

If you plan on overclocking the 13700k, it will run hot and pull about 250W. I would suggest the best AIO in the market - Arctic liquid freezer ii 360 - ARGB. I dont think it comes in white. Since you are in europe, the EK Nucleus is also a good option and comes in white. The NZXT is overpriced, if u ask my opinion.

You have not said anything about your PSU. if its more than 5 years old, might be good to change it unless you have one with a 10 year warranty. The corsair RMe 750 is a good choice.

Regarding case fans, one of the most popular ones are the Lian Li uni fans V2. Cant go wrong with Noctua chromax.

If you can tell us the location/country and budget, that would help us a lot.
i would personally go for a 850w psu .. i like to overkill things plus future proof ..
dont think anyone can go past the arctic freezer ii ive got the 360mm and a 420mm ( not the prettiest aio ) but the best, quiet and with the bigger rad it will cool anything !!
100% the right MSI boards are really good .. could even go with the better quality b760 board my reasoning is the 13th gen and 790i is almost a dead platform so its not like it can be used for anything come the 14th so saving a bit of money there isnt a bad idea!!
cases is purely personal choice a mid tower or a small form factor personally my fav case is the lian li o11 air mini its allows ATX mobos PSU's and a 3070 will fit no issues ..
The nr200p max is another small small form factor but does require a Itx mobo!!

Reactions: Wolfseye
if you ask me, a case that can support the 360 AIO in top mounted exhaust option is the ideal case for you.
3 front intake fans, 1 rear exhaust and the aio as top mounted exhaust.

The Lian Li 216 and purebase 500DX can do that. you dont really need the side mounted fan options unless you plan on dual loop custom water cooling and such or if both the CPU and GPU are radiator cooled...

EDIT: the 500DX only supports front mounted 360 AIO. damn

the 7000D is a well reviewed case, the asus one is not so popular. you have to search a bit more on that.

I honestly feel populating 3 front, 3 side, 3 top and a rear fan is overkill for your system...

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
@ilukey77 thanks a lot for your comment. ;)

I really wonder, because I truely dont know, whats so good about the Arctic Freezer. Is it because its realtively cheap, compared to maybe what its cooling features are. Or is it something else ? Unfortunately I really want to rock the white layout this time, so I need some white AIO. I have years of experience with the old Corsair H150i, so thats in deciding right now, but although it might not be the best cooler, i really like the style of the Kraken X73. Never had one before.
As for the PSU, that really wasnt planned right now. Is what I planned, for the moment at least, not possible with my existing 750 Watt ? I could still replace the PSU at some point, just cant do all at the same time. ;)

As for the B760 Chipsets, do you mean boards like the MSI MAG B760 Tomahawk Wifi ?

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
if you ask me, a case that can support the 360 AIO in top mounted exhaust option is the ideal case for you.
3 front intake fans, 1 rear exhaust and the aio as top mounted exhaust.

The Lian Li 216 and purebase 500DX can do that. you dont really need the side mounted fan options unless you plan on dual loop custom water cooling and such or if both the CPU and GPU are radiator cooled...

EDIT: the 500DX only supports front mounted 360 AIO. damn

the 7000D is a well reviewed case, the asus one is not so popular. you have to search a bit more on that.

I honestly feel populating 3 front, 3 side, 3 top and a rear fan is overkill for your system...
Some things I dont mind a little overkill ^^ ...

And I would have probably already decided on the 7000D, but i hear no good things about the HDD cages that come with this case. And while that might be not a concern for people with just m.2 ssd's, some people are still with more traditional storage.

In time i will also move away from that, since i also have a Synology NAS, but for now the 4x 2.5 SSD's and the 2x 3.5" HDD drives have to fit in somehow.

If that wasnt a concern, i already had decided about the case. I really like the Asus as well, the design i like more than the Corsair, but there is no way i fit all my drives into it, with enough space left for more fans. And unlike the Corsair, where there is the big mesh front and you can pull in nice air, with the Asus you have also glass on the front, and so there is not much of air intake. So the right side location for fans i would love to do.

In this small room in the summer, its already a pain to exist when its hot (and in here it gets hot fast), so the more electronics the worse it gets. So the better / more cooling, the better the summer is in this room. ;)

Thanks @Lucky_SLS for your comment. ;) Appreciate it.

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
I just saw this one here, and I have to say, I like it. Unfortunately its also not in white. :(

Lian li O11 Dynamic XL

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
@ilukey77 thanks a lot for your comment. ;)

I really wonder, because I truely dont know, whats so good about the Arctic Freezer. Is it because its realtively cheap, compared to maybe what its cooling features are. Or is it something else ? Unfortunately I really want to rock the white layout this time, so I need some white AIO. I have years of experience with the old Corsair H150i, so thats in deciding right now, but although it might not be the best cooler, i really like the style of the Kraken X73. Never had one before.
As for the PSU, that really wasnt planned right now. Is what I planned, for the moment at least, not possible with my existing 750 Watt ? I could still replace the PSU at some point, just cant do all at the same time. ;)

As for the B760 Chipsets, do you mean boards like the MSI MAG B760 Tomahawk Wifi ?
i swear by arctic freezer ii for the reason is its cheap but has a quite a few other wins too ..
standard around 34 mm thick rad bigger than any other AIO on the market .. ( bigger rad better cooling )
most other AIO's are 28mm standard !!
VRM cooler on the pump head which does actually help even by a small amount ..
super quite fans !!
while they work well on any cpu the offset AM4 /AM5 mount helps lower temps ..
never used corsair coolers ive got a few x63 krakens and yeah they look great and yeah not bad but i would check some vids maybe and see 280mm arctic freezer ii on the 13700k..

then again as you say a white layout the white lian li uni fans on a white x63/73 kraken looks great ..
I just have a real hard on for arctic freezer ii's is all they are cheap and better than anything else on the market atm !!

750w psu should be good if its a quality one corsair seems to be my go to highly i recommend a 80 gold or platinum rated one ..
I go over kill always on 2 things above everything PSU and CPU cooler !!

Yes the MSI MAG b760 tomahawk Wifi looks like it will handle a 13700k as long as youre not planing on extreme OC but i will warn this make sure its got all the features you want for youre system one other downside is ddr4 but depending on budget ddr5 and ddr5 board will start to creep up your budget

my honest opinion is go AM5 personally end of this year 14th with be out and with Intels terrible 2 year socket life span always annoys and stops me bothering with intel cpu's..
once again though budget is king !!

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
I just saw this one here, and I have to say, I like it. Unfortunately its also not in white. :(

Lian li O11 Dynamic XL
The o11 air mini comes in white down side is its a 280mm rad fitment only there is one other case the asus prime 201 which fits a 360mm AIO a ATX psu problem is ITX or M-ATX mobos only its a smaller form factor comes in white down side is its all mesh but they have done a TG version in white !
the o11 dynamic mini comes in white room to fit a 360 in the roof of it down side then is sfx psu :(

Last edited:

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
I only do upgrade every 3 - 5 years, unless something breaks in the meantime and needs replacing, but a overall system swap with major components doesnt happen so often. So it has to be nice and its fine if its a bit overkill , as long as it works fine for several years to come. I mean, we are in 2023 and i was still using fine my old i7 8700. ;) Not perfect, but for what i was using it so far, it was fine.

If that Arctic Freeze would be in white, I'd think about it. But right now i have a real hard-on for white (and funny enough, i never really liked white computer hardware until very recenlty ago). In black, its all simple to find the right stuff.

Dont know atm.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
I only do upgrade every 3 - 5 years, unless something breaks in the meantime and needs replacing, but a overall system swap with major components doesnt happen so often. So it has to be nice and its fine if its a bit overkill , as long as it works fine for several years to come. I mean, we are in 2023 and i was still using fine my old i7 8700. ;) Not perfect, but for what i was using it so far, it was fine.

If that Arctic Freeze would be in white, I'd think about it. But right now i have a real hard-on for white (and funny enough, i never really liked white computer hardware until very recenlty ago). In black, its all simple to find the right stuff.

Dont know atm.
thats why for a budget ish build would be a AMD 7700 a quality b650 some cl30/cl 36 6000 ddr5 personally i would go something with a min or 16gb of Vram on youre gpu..
but thats me !!
my reasoning for the AM5 platform is life span a 7700 is solid for production and gaming ( not 13700k production ) then you have a platform you can slap any GPU on you want till 2025 plus and swap out cpu's as you see fit !!

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
can we know which country you are buying from?

I think the EK Nucleus 360 white would be better than the gallahad.

if from germany, add the EK, and you would be looking t something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor (€437.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790-A WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€302.79 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40 Memory (€106.89 @ Alternate)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€113.99 @ Galaxus)
Video Card: Asus ROG STRIX GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For €0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air ATX Full Tower Case (€116.61 @ Galaxus)
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For €0.00)
Total: €1078.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-16 12:44 CEST+0200

Last edited:

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
I dont find the white version of this anywhere in Germany for order, I checked. What against the Galahad ?

One bad thing though, I found something I like way more than I should do. Considering the price especially. And I know the plan was to go a little bit compacter than what I have with my Cooler Master C700P (which is already quite large), but I am afraid I saw a monster which I loved from the very first second. I didnt like the price of the monster, but like it non the less. :D

And yes, I know, but sometimes one tends to be less reasonable. :D :D :D

I am still calculating the overall price all my things would cost me, if I would get the monster. And i have to think about how to make more space to fit that one ^^ in the room. But the thought is in my head .... ^^

Its also from Lian Li btw.

the EK AIO can be purchased from their website i linked above directly, its in stock.

the Gallahad uses a Asetek gen 6 pump. the EK uses their own pump design which is superior to asetek.

If you like the odessey X from lian li, go for it. but yeah, hard to justify the price and with the components you have, it wont fill out the case. it would look quite empty...

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
the EK AIO can be purchased from their website i linked above directly, its in stock.

the Gallahad uses a Asetek gen 6 pump. the EK uses their own pump design which is superior to asetek.

If you like the odessey X from lian li, go for it. but yeah, hard to justify the price and with the components you have, it wont fill out the case. it would look quite empty...
Unfortunately i am not a big fan from ordering things out of my own country. I never have. Might not be a problem, but i dont want to. Otherwise, if that would be available in a german Online store, i would think about it.

As for the tower, i am still unsure, but the monster i was referring to, i am afraid is still more monstery as what you suggested there. ^^

Its overkill, but this one time I really like overkill. ;)

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
And I saw that the EKWB is thinner than even the NZXT Kraken x73. But thats not my main concern.

What somewhat makes me not wanna go NZXT is their fan Software & hub. From what I hear, that is by far more complicated to run with different things than if you stick with all Lian Li, than for example Corsair with their iCue etc. , which I already have the Commander Pro in my current case etc.

At least there its all comptible.

With Lian Li multiple generations of fans have also different connectors, just to make it even more complicated. And I hear their Software is also not realls great.
Makes me wonder about the whole AIO plan with the Lian Li , more than just how the one AIO is better than the other. But it seems all is very complicated and less straightline with this company.

So here are my thoughts, since I was invited to respond here in your other thread.

Case is subjective. Get what you like, just make sure that if you get a full size ATX board the case is at least mid tower ATX but it can also be a full tower ATX if you desire it to be so. Only you can decide that but be aware that full tower cases are LARGE AF. LOL. Also, if you need something like front panel USB type C or whatever, that you get a case that has that, AND that the "Type C" uses the correct USB standard for the motherboard's internal front panel connector, because there are different types/generations and they might not all be compatible with the same type of plug that needs to be connected to the motherboard.

Memory has already been addressed.

CPU is fine.

Motherboard is fine, if that is what you want. I'd prefer a Gigabyte or ASRock board myself, but that is for my own reasons. MSI is a morally corrupt, shady company, and I won't give them my business unless the deal is so great I can't possibly pass it up, and so far, that's happened like once in the last four years. ASUS undoubtedly makes a superior product at the mid to high level tier price points, but their customer service is for sh...., is lousy. It used to be great but it has gotten terrible over the last few years. I used to almost exclusively by their motherboards, but after seeing so many people here get shafted by them on obviously qualified warranties, and then having them screw me over too, I'm basically done with them as well. Again, I might buy from them, but only if the deal is so outstanding only a complete idiot would pass it up, and even then I'd have to think VERY hard about it first.

As far as cooling goes, if you're going to buy a liquid cooler from Corsair or NZXT, that's a no brainer. Corsair has the much better, FAR less intrusive software that works way better anyhow. NZXT CAM is nothing but spyware that continuously is phoning home with your information, in ways that other software (All of which these days pretty much sends something at least home, but not like CAM) doesn't, and is just generally usually buggy overall anyhow. Plus, the Corsair products are generally better quality and their customer service is far superior to NZXT. If I was buying an AIO it would likely be something from the Capellix lineup unless they have something better now. I haven't looked for a little while so I guess that's possible too.

If you want really high quality fans AND you have to have RGB, then for me the only choice would be something from the Corsair Maglev lineup. If possible, I like sticking to all 140mm fans but for some cases you might have to resort to 120mm ones. I'll leave all that up to you until you determine for certain what case you are going with AND unless you ask me directly to look at it a bit more closely because there are some other decent choices. Normally I always recommend Noctua fans, if somebody wants top notch quality and very low noise levels, but they don't make RGB fans of any kind so that's out the window. Fractal design makes some pretty decent fans that have RGB features yet still have some ok static pressure ratings, and aren't TERRIBLY noisy, so they are worth looking at as well. Few others out there too that might be ok choices and sometimes what's on sale might be the better option because the cost of fans can quickly add up, but ASK before pulling the trigger on ANY specific fan model because some of the stuff out there is simply terrible even if they look good and are from a well known brand.

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
@Darkbreeze I thank you, m8, for your help. ;) I appreciate that greatly.

But I am afraid bad luck struck us yesterday, which means that those plans are off the table for now.

Our Synology NAS died ! It worked fine for a little over 5 years, so in the end it did its duty. And well. But i guess its just one of those days...

Of course we were afraid that our data would be lost, and we have quite some data thats very valueble to us.

So today I got a new one, pretty much the same line as before, we had the DS1817+ , now we have the DS1821+ , and that was roughly over 1000 Euro gone from the money I wanted to spend on the stuff above. But of course, all our data has priority, so that was more important. There was no question. It just came at a really bad time, I was so looking forward to doing the big update. Guess its happening a bit more to the end of the year now.

At least we could get our Data back safe and sound, at least from what I can tell til now.
I want to thank anyone participating in this topic, you guys were so kind. And I mean that in every sense, literally. There are places on the Internet, when you ask about such things, and you dont A) see it the way they think it should be, or B) seem to want to buy something they dont approve (or are simply jealous of), they really give you crap.

Its to a point you dont want to ask anymore. Lucky me, you guys were nice and even now that I cant buy the stuff, i will remember this place from the great help i got from you.

Thanks. ;)

Reactions: Lucky_SLS

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
No worries man. Life happens, that's for sure. When you get back around to it, we'll still be here.
Replies like this make you guys really awesome, trust me, there are forums where you treated like ****** when you dont accept all "their" advice, but dare to want to do some your way even.

Thanks again. ;)

Reactions: Corwin65
I know. That's what originally brought me here in the first place many years ago. I already had many years of experience but was having an issue in an area where I was less experienced and everywhere else was just elitist asshats. It was actually my second time coming around to Tom's but the first time had been many years prior and I had lost my account information long before, so I created a new one and have been here ever since. Practically, almost every day ever since. That was in 2014. So, we get it.

Well, some of us anyhow. We still have our fair share of people like that, believe me, but we try to weed them out and get them off the island if they can't at least offer basic civility and at least moderately intelligent recommendations.