[SOLVED] Cpu and gpu not being utilized

Jan 25, 2020
So I have this problem where I will be playing a game and will put my frame cap to 240 and I will not hit 240 but my cpu and gpu are not being used more than about 50-60% while watching the msi overlay also before someone says that single cores are maxing out even when looking at all core not a single one maxes, so i am wondering is there something I dont know about that is keeping me from going higher
My system is i7 3770k. Gtx 1070, 16gb ddr3, h61m u3s3 motherboard, 1tb hdd

Solution
Fortnite all low

I would try some other kind of performance monitoring software, like Nvidia's overlay feature. The one linked below is another good one I personally use. You have to install it on your phone as well for it to work from google play store. It will tell you almost everything you need to know except it doesn't currently monitor actual vram utilization, only its speed. It also doesn't show the 1% lows in frames per second. Beyond this though, I wouldn't be so concerned about the stats as long as you are still having a smooth experience.

Link: Remote System Monitor

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
So I have this problem where I will be playing a game and will put my frame cap to 240 and I will not hit 240 but my cpu and gpu are not being used more than about 50-60% while watching the msi overlay also before someone says that single cores are maxing out even when looking at all core not a single one maxes, so i am wondering is there something I dont know about that is keeping me from going higher
My system is i7 3770k. Gtx 1070, 16gb ddr3, h61m u3s3 motherboard, 1tb hdd

Well, what games are you trying to play at 240 fps? Either your specs aren't capable of achieving it or msi afterburner isn't reporting accurate statistics. I don't trust msi, often causes problems, like crashes, and sometimes will report entirely different numbers than another monitoring tool. Nevertheless, 240 fps is insanely high so I wouldn't be surprised if your computer can't live up to it.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020
Well, what games are you trying to play at 240 fps? Either your specs aren't capable of achieving it or msi afterburner isn't reporting accurate statistics. I don't trust msi, often causes problems, like crashes, and sometimes will report entirely different numbers than another monitoring tool. Nevertheless, 240 fps is insanely high so I wouldn't be surprised if your computer can't live up to it.
Fortnite all low

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Fortnite all low

I would try some other kind of performance monitoring software, like Nvidia's overlay feature. The one linked below is another good one I personally use. You have to install it on your phone as well for it to work from google play store. It will tell you almost everything you need to know except it doesn't currently monitor actual vram utilization, only its speed. It also doesn't show the 1% lows in frames per second. Beyond this though, I wouldn't be so concerned about the stats as long as you are still having a smooth experience.

Link: Remote System Monitor

Solution

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I don't understand the appeal of monitors with a refresh that high anyway, its a waste of money. You're not going to get 240 fps in most games unless you have a super high end computer, especially the more demanding games.