hjk

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
hello everybody at the community.......now to the point .....i have an old pc with a good motherboard it currently has an intel pentium 4 so what i wanted to ask u that can i change the cpu and is there a driver required to run a cpu when it is changed so what is the complete process please tell me

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
It's a very simple process. Just take the old one out and put the new one in. Don't forget to apply thermal paste.
Now your problem is going to be finding a CPU to use. Since you still have a pentium 4 the only option is searching for second handed ones. Personally I'd simply get more money and get a new system

hjk

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

hmmmm thank u brother but what is a thermal paste and i have bought an I3 and i will give it a shot

hjk

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

ok brother thank you i will do what you just said

randomkid

Distinguished

I am pretty sure the I3 will not work in your motherboard... Did you mean you already bought an I3 without confirming it will work in your motherboard?

hjk

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

hehehe yes

randomkid

Distinguished
Too bad. But good you went here at Tom's before anything else...

Now you need to buy an Intel mother board. But knowing i3 could be 1st or 2nd generation, you better post exactly what is the processor number before we can suggest what motherboard you can get. Ex: i3-2XXX or i3-XXX

hjk

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

brother i have bought an intel dh61ww motherboard classic addition which is indeed very good and which other processors other than I7 can be used