Question cpu clock speed dropping well below base clock when gaming

Aug 22, 2020
so ive been using this laptop for a while and ive always noticed in my task manager that when my pc is idle or not exactly doing any heavy task the cpu is at its turbo clock 3.4ghz but thye moment i start a game just any game the clock speed suddenly drops to 2-1.9ghz even below the base clock which is 2.9ghz i read about this in lot of threads all of them said its due to throtling and turbo boost urns off and cpu runs in base clock. but for me its not even anywhere near the base clock it drops to 2ghz -1.98ghz why is this happeing
my specs:

CPU: intel core i7-7500u 2.9ghz base clock upto 3.5ghz turbo
GPU: 940MX 2GB
STORAGE: SSD
RAM: 16GB

so ive been using this laptop for a while and ive always noticed in my task manager that when my pc is idle or not exactly doing any heavy task the cpu is at its turbo clock 3.4ghz but thye moment i start a game just any game the clock speed suddenly drops to 2-1.9ghz even below the base clock which is 2.9ghz i read about this in lot of threads all of them said its due to throtling and turbo boost urns off and cpu runs in base clock. but for me its not even anywhere near the base clock it drops to 2ghz -1.98ghz why is this happeing
my specs:

CPU: intel core i7-7500u 2.9ghz base clock upto 3.5ghz turbo
GPU: 940MX 2GB
STORAGE: SSD
RAM: 16GB
Check temperatures under load. probably overheating.

Aug 22, 2020
Check temperatures under load. probably overheating.
ya but overheating takes place after u game for some time ri8 but this happens just right after i start a game liek sudnely it just drops
after gaming for sometime ive checked th cpu temp its at 90degrees but at the point wgen im only starting any game the temps are 60-70

It may be that 2 GHz will do the same job with a 940MX which would likely limit framerates anyway,,,

However, many laptops might have imposed assorted TDP/power saving limits that might kick in after even 60-90 seconds at higher clock speeds. Try performance mode, while plugged in to AC adaptor, and/or, see if Intel's XTU might allow you to override at least the turbo boost duration and/or TDP limits. IF it allows specifying higher all core turbos. test it incrementally at 2.3 GHz, 2.5 GHz, etc., to see how temps are affected, and, if FPS stop rising due to your GPU anyway, there is little to be gained by higher CPU clock speeds. (Akin to overclocking a 10900K with a GTX950 GPU)