xerocool83

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
When I boot up my computer it says CPU fan failed. Although it is still running and from what I can tell it is still running at regular RPM or at least I think. According to my ASUS monitor the cpu is running at 1600rpm. Any ideas?

XeroCool

blaumer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I had the same problem and all I had to do was swap out the fan. I waited about a year though, because, like you, it would show that it was working fine when I went into the bios monitor. I just got sick of the warning one day and replaced the fan.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
1600 rpm u say?

sounds like you might have your cpu fan and psu fan connections switched.

i did that once, and it said cpu fan failed as well.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
there are two plugs on your mobo:
one for power supply fan other for your cpu.

check your manual if u have them connected to the correct one.

gagaga

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
If you've got fan speed control set/cool and quiet or similar then that's probably the cause.

The BIOS is probably set to only turn on the CPU fan above (say) 20 degrees .. when you turn on the PC the CPU is cool so the fan is off and it triggers the alarm. The CPU quickly heats up so the fan starts... It's probably not a problem.

I use an Artic Freezer 64 on an OCed Opteron 146 ... the fan on that runs at 0, 1400 or 2400 rpm depending upon CPU temp so your's sounds about right.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
My Asus mobo says the same thing to me. Why? Because I replaced my stock cooler with a fanless cooler and ran the low RPM 120mm exhaust fan through the CPU header. If the RPMs drop too low (as is my case), it tells you the fan has failed. But the fan is fine.

So as long as you're not having problems with your fan, don't worry about it. Chances are that when the system boots up the RPMs are just lower than what your BIOS wants to see so it complains.