PsychoAssassin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I have a asus crosshair motherboard with the 4400+ cpu and i have been using a power supply with a 4 pin cpu power connector. I upgraded my power supply and the manual said to connect the 8 pin cpu power connector if my motherboard is compatible which I did connect the 8 pin cpu connector and power on the computer and it the didnt boot and I smell something burn, It was the cpu. Can you explain to me what happened? :cry:

Some pci-e connectors have 8 pins with 2 that can break off. Maybe you were using that one instead of the 8 pin 12v connector. Are you sure the cpu is bad? You may be covered under the 3 year warranty if yours was retail boxed and had no burn marks. Try an rma to amd. Or try a different power supply. With the 4400, a 4 pin 12v lead may be all you need; leave the other 4 pins open; the lead only fits one way.

PsychoAssassin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

I am sure that I connected the 8 pin EPS12v connector, my power supply has two separate pci-e connectors that has 2 pins hanging out and I also reinstalled my old power supply with the 4 pin 12v lead and it still didnt boot, i know a motherboard wouldnt boot without a functioning cpu so i removed the cpu to check and it had a strong burnt scent from the pins.