tysonb

Honorable
May 15, 2012
i reacently bought an i5 ivy bridge for my computer but when i put it in the computer wont boot up, pl
ease help

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Like DJDecibel says, it's probably something that would be fixed by a BIOS update.

However, without any information on the computer, we can't be sure. It's possible you bent the pins in your socket when you installed the chip, or otherwise damaged the motherboard.

We also can't help you flash an updated BIOS without knowing what motherboard you have.

More info is definitely needed for a better answer.

Mark_F

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

I'd agree with this (but we still need to know the motherboard to be sure), and if this is correct, you'll need to keep hold of your older CPU for the time being.

The instructions for the update inside Widows seem straightforward enough. I can't do it myself, obviously, since I don't have that mobo, but the way the Readme (readme.pdf) describes should do it. You can put the DOS update on a bootable USB or CD to do it from DOS, but that shouldn't even be necessary.

Are you running the BIOS_WIN.bat file in the WIN folder first? That should be all you have to do from Windows. After that, you restart and go into the BIOS to load default settings.

Well, it's more difficult to update it through DOS, of course. If you want to do it with a USB drive, you need to read up on how to make a bootable USB drive, or if you want to burn it to a CD, you need to make the CD bootable. After that is easy though. Just run BIOS_DOS.bat from the DOS folder once you get booted into DOS.

And if THAT doesn't work, I really have no more ideas for you.

This works because I've done it myself. http://www.intowindows.com/bootable-usb/

Obviously, disregard the part about putting the Win 7 install files on the USB drive (Part 7 there).

Wait, you don't have a Windows install disk do you? You'll need that for that tutorial.

Try this program. http://www.askvg.com/a-bootable-usb-utility-to-create-bootable-usb-drive-to-install-windows-vista-server-2008-and-7/

I don't know if it works because I've never used it, but it should be automatic.

Hmm, don't think that will work either. Just burn a bootable CD with the BIOS update files on it. That's nice and simple.