Question CPU high temps - low usage ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 14, 2024
Having some cpu package temp issues curious if I’m missing something.

Fresh startup. No programs running and the cpu is at idle 3% and sitting at 60-70c. I think that is too high but I could be wrong. I have clocked it down from the default 57x to 55x using the intel utility. When at 57x it idles closer to 90c.

I have fans at max speed always and pump at max speed.

I did a test today. I pulled the cpu block and cleaned off the thermal paste and put a fresh on it to see if that’s would resolve the issue. Sadly no change.

It is a custom build. And custom water loop.

Double radiator running 3 120’s each.
One rear exhaust.
Water goes from pump -> gpu -> cpu -> radiator -> radiator -> pump

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero
CPU - Intel Core i9-14900KF - Core i9 14th Gen 24-Core
Ram - 64gb ddr5 6400

CPU block - CORSAIR XC7 RGB ELITE LCD CPU Water Block

Hopefully I answered everything that might be asked.

Aug 14, 2024
Having some cpu package temp issues curious if I’m missing something.

Fresh startup. No programs running and the cpu is at idle 3% and sitting at 60-70c. I think that is too high but I could be wrong. I have clocked it down from the default 57x to 55x using the intel utility. When at 57x it idles closer to 90c.

I have fans at max speed always and pump at max speed.

I did a test today. I pulled the cpu block and cleaned off the thermal paste and put a fresh on it to see if that’s would resolve the issue. Sadly no change.

It is a custom build. And custom water loop.

Double radiator running 3 120’s each.
One rear exhaust.
Water goes from pump -> gpu -> cpu -> radiator -> radiator -> pump

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero
CPU - Intel Core i9-14900KF - Core i9 14th Gen 24-Core
Ram - 64gb ddr5 6400

CPU block - CORSAIR XC7 RGB ELITE LCD CPU Water Block

Hopefully I answered everything that might be asked.

what is your power supply ?

are your inlet and outlet ports correct

outlet is top
inlet is below. it can reverse flow but according to the website this can cause loss in cooling performance.

would recomend the lga contact frame as it will help the cpu 1700 from bending from heat high heat loads can cause these cpus to bend

Thermalright CPU Contact Frame for LGA1700

Aug 14, 2024
what is your power supply ?

are your inlet and outlet ports correct

outlet is top
inlet is below. it can reverse flow but according to the website this can cause loss in cooling performance.

would recomend the lga contact frame as it will help the cpu 1700 from bending from heat high heat loads can cause these cpus to bend

Thermalright CPU Contact Frame for LGA1700
Hi yes. Inlet is the bottom and outlet is the top. I will check the block to see what is considered the top though. But I’m assuming since you want it facing towards the pump. Top would always be the same. I will confirm on that tip. Thank you.

Power supply - Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold SLI/Crossfire Ready Ultra Quiet

Yes contact frame is being put on today.

Hi yes. Inlet is the bottom and outlet is the top. I will check the block to see what is considered the top though. But I’m assuming since you want it facing towards the pump. Top would always be the same. I will confirm on that tip. Thank you.

Power supply - Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold SLI/Crossfire Ready Ultra Quiet

Yes contact frame is being put on today.

whats the res and pump called.

if your diagram of how your

pump works is

gpu/cpu/ radiator / radiator then pump is accurate

then your gpu is dumping all its heat into your cpu block. before its cooled by the radiator. so the gpu gets double cooled.

Pump/res - LIAN LI O11D Distro-Plate G1

from what ive found i think you may have a bad pump in the res that or its 2 weak to push all that water.

reason i say this seeing alot of issues.

ive heard d5 pumps are better in terms of life.

Aug 14, 2024
from what ive found i think you may have a bad pump in the res that or its 2 weak to push all that water.

reason i say this seeing alot of issues.

ive heard d5 pumps are better in terms of life.
Understood yea it would be too weak if that’s the case. The current coolant I had. Had all the fancy effects. So I knew it was always working. But the weak part. That could be it. I’ll have to use this for now. But I will get a stronger one ordered. That actually never crossed my mind. The strength of the pump.

Aug 14, 2024
Good Afternoon, Little update. I took the whole pc apart. Did find a quarter of the gpu heat blades were gunked up. So took it apart and got that all cleaned out. Most likely from the first coolant solution i used that looked "pretty" which was the worst mistake.

I have ordered a new pump. Once i hooked everything back up. I noticed the current res/pump was struggling to pull water through all the parts in the system. When i finally did the water in every part. It was barely flowing. The pump is just too weak for the system size.

With that being said. With just the gunk being removed from the gpu and one radiator being temporarily removed. (no point in fully filling the pc just to empty it again) the cpu is running at about 5-10c lower then before. Instead of 60-70c we are now at a constant 50-60c so that was a big change already. (this is idle temps)

Went with a d5 pump/res to swap out the current lian li res/pump that i was using.
I'll have another update once I get everything put on and hooked up and flowing.

I am also swapping the flow based on @beyondlogic . I remember when i set this up in 2020 this was the flow that i read was correct. But with that being said. Having a radiator before each part makes way more sense and is more logical. So i'll be make the swap to that.

New Flow < Pump -> Radiator -> GPU -> Radiator -> CPU -> Pump >

Did not update fans as of yet. Going to see stats before i change out the fans. But that is still a possibility. Just if the fans are working don't see a reason to change them yet.

Good Afternoon, Little update. I took the whole pc apart. Did find a quarter of the gpu heat blades were gunked up. So took it apart and got that all cleaned out. Most likely from the first coolant solution i used that looked "pretty" which was the worst mistake.

I have ordered a new pump. Once i hooked everything back up. I noticed the current res/pump was struggling to pull water through all the parts in the system. When i finally did the water in every part. It was barely flowing. The pump is just too weak for the system size.

With that being said. With just the gunk being removed from the gpu and one radiator being temporarily removed. (no point in fully filling the pc just to empty it again) the cpu is running at about 5-10c lower then before. Instead of 60-70c we are now at a constant 50-60c so that was a big change already. (this is idle temps)

Went with a d5 pump/res to swap out the current lian li res/pump that i was using.
I'll have another update once I get everything put on and hooked up and flowing.

I am also swapping the flow based on @beyondlogic . I remember when i set this up in 2020 this was the flow that i read was correct. But with that being said. Having a radiator before each part makes way more sense and is more logical. So i'll be make the swap to that.

New Flow < Pump -> Radiator -> GPU -> Radiator -> CPU -> Pump >

Did not update fans as of yet. Going to see stats before i change out the fans. But that is still a possibility. Just if the fans are working don't see a reason to change them yet.

that to me makes more sense to me.