Question Switching to AMD. What would you do?

Oct 4, 2023
Hello there

After Intel's statement about faulty processors and after I found my 13700k processor cant handle overclocking anymore, I started thinking about switching to AMD.
I never used AMD processors before and I dont really understand their branding. After some research 7800x3d is the best processor for gaming and for a good price. It seems odd to me because in Intel you buy the most expensive CPU money can buy and you get the best performance with it. But in AMD the 3d architecture and larges caches makes the difference and I'm really amazed by 7800x3d's performance in benchmarks.

Now they are starting to roll out Zen 5 9000 series and I'm curious, 7800x3d with that price will be same with new 9000 series? What would you do?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well probably wait for more benchmarks regarding Amd.

But, you can still salvage your Intel via warranty. An extra 2 years was added to boxed processors from 3yrs to 5. With bios update to address the issue + warranty replacement, good as gold.

Reactions: geofelt
Rethink the decision.

The X3D versions of ryzen have a huge cache that really makes single threaded performance fly.
That is what gamers need most.
The downside is that if you are running apps that use more cores, that performance is negated.

The other thing to know about ryzen is that performance is greatly impacted by ram speed.
Not all seemingly identical ram will work.
Best to buy only a ram kit explicitly supported by the motherboard ram QVL list or explicitly by a ram selection app. Zen5 is DDR5 only.

I would not try to overclock in the first place.
Chips are binned so there is very little headroom.
If you are a gamer, the default turbo boost will boost a couple of cores past what an all core overclock can do.

Well probably wait for more benchmarks regarding Amd.

But, you can still salvage your Intel via warranty. An extra 2 years was added to boxed processors from 3yrs to 5. With bios update to address the issue + warranty replacement, good as gold.
Does the BIOS issue actually solve anything? The oxidisation issue cannot be solved through software

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
I'd say it's unnecessary panic. What percentage of Intel processors from personal computers are affected? I personally will keep my i5-13600 KF until the next upgrade of the entire PC, which I am not planning yet. There are no issues with my CPU yet and I'll trust that Intel RMA will resolve them if they occur.

Oct 4, 2023
I'd say it's unnecessary panic. What percentage of Intel processors from personal computers are affected? I personally will keep my i5-13600 KF until the next upgrade of the entire PC, which I am not planning yet. There are no issues with my CPU yet and I'll trust that Intel RMA will resolve them if they occur.
I'm not panicking. I already affected by this failure. For example I use Asus MOBO's AI optimized overclocking feature and couldnt play starfield and cyberpunk. Constant crash even at browsing internet.

They offered replacement but they want my cpu first before sending another. They want me to wait for days without working computer.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
The X3D versions of ryzen have a huge cache that really makes single threaded performance fly.
That is what gamers need most.
The downside is that if you are running apps that use more cores, that performance is negated.

your downside is that the cheaper chip will "only" work as the more expensive 7800 when loading more of the cores. so you get the extra gaming boost, and normal performance in other tasks for less than the normal chip itself.

i don't really see a downside here. it is important to know what you are buying for sure, but presenting it as a negative is not really accurate. :)

not sure why everyone is so willing to just hang with intel no matter what they mess up, when the AMD option is right there ready to go. you can wait for the 9000 x3d series or just grab the 7800x3d now and know you got a heck of a chip that will last a long time.

even if you wait for the 9000 series, next year will bring the refresh and then the next and then the next and so on and so on. chasing the latest/newest/greatest is a one way ticket to spending money you don't have to. grab the best you can now and then go back to enjoying you system without worrying about what might come next year. :)

Reactions: DelvartheIron