CPU-HSF Help..........

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
I appologize in advance if this post should really be placed in the motherboard section because I have a sneaking suspicion that it might belong there but here goes....

I finished my new rig a week or so ago and I'm not sure if everyone experiences set-backs or frustrations but I need help to dicerne this one. When I cold boot my machine the fan on the HSF comes on and then promptly shuts off again. It goes through the bios screen and then returns an error.

----------------------
CPU fan error!!!
hit f1 to continue
----------------------

Now after I hit F1 it goes right top windows but the fan still doesn't turn on. Once the login page loads I hit restart ASAP as to not let the CPU heat up too much. Most of the time after I restart from windows in the beginning it starts normally the next time. After it is running and I restart everything behaves really normally and the fan comes on each time like it is suppose to.

Questions arise...

1. Could this be something in the hardware on the MB itself causing this?

2. Is this perhaps a malfunctioning BIOS version?
(I hope not because I don't believe they have an upgrade for the Bios on this board yet)

3. Is there any way that it could actually be the HSF causing this? ( I doubt this because it works perfectly when restarting from windows)

The MB is an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe and I'm running a Zalman 7000-CuLed. The rest you can gather from my siggy.

Please help! This sort of behavior cannot be tolerated. ROFL... :frown:

<font color=green>AMD 64 3700+
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
CORSAIR XMS (1gb) PC-3200
Gigabyte GF 6800gt 256mb
Audigy 2 ZS
2_36.7gb Raptors/Raid 0
Tt 480 watt PSU</font color=green>

pat

Expert
I think Asus has something like "smart fan control". Maybe a look at you manual for BIOS option that could disable this option. Check for that and play with these options.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
So you're sure the fan on the CPU doesn't physically spin up after you've pressed F1 right?
yes absolutely sure. I have a window mod in the case and I can see the fan all the while.

ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
Gigabyte GF 6800gt 256mb
Audigy 2 ZS
2_36.7gb Raptors/Raid 0

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
ASUS has what they cal Q-fan technology. It can be disabled and I did that and it seems to work as far as the fan coming on by default. the problem is that now it comes on at full rpms and sounds pretty loud compared to before. I know this will work in the interem but how long does it normally take for a MB manufacturer to issue an updated BIOS for their boards?

ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
Gigabyte GF 6800gt 256mb
Audigy 2 ZS
2_36.7gb Raptors/Raid 0

endyen

Splendid
What bios version are you running? I already updated mine, because it wasn't giving me core voltage options.
You can also do the dos flash to the same version, just in case it is a glitch in the bios info.

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
American Megatrends Bios

AMIBIOS
version: 08.00.09
build date: 10/04/04

ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
Gigabyte GF 6800gt 256mb
Audigy 2 ZS
2_36.7gb Raptors/Raid 0

endyen

Splendid
I think you have the latest bios, it should be ver 1006.
Have you ever flashed from dos before? It's not really that hard. Download a new copy of your bios, and flash to it from dos. I dont think the online utility will let you flash to the same bios. It sounds like you problem is a glitch in bios.
Did you get a retail chip? If so, try with the stock fan. I doubt it, but it could be a problem recognizing your fan.

endyen

Splendid
Yes, it could cause a big problem With that cooler, and mobo, chip combo, he may have to worry about it icing up. (he says, taking another jab at the ribs of prescott fans everywhere)