Question CPU is stuck at 100C!! Please help

Jun 2, 2023
Hello, I've just recently found out that my computer has started running very slow compared to usual. In games it now runs very choppy and doesn't get many frames anymore. I go to check my cpu utilization and its at 1%, but 100C! It has thermal paste, I cleaned out all of the fans are and they are all running. When I opened the case it felt like a furnace was in there. it is a Intel I910900F with a 1660 gpu. Usually I can kind of troubleshoot and find out what's wrong but with this I have no idea! any thoughts?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
inlcude the BIOS version for your motherboard and your ambient room air temps.

Jun 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
inlcude the BIOS version for your motherboard and your ambient room air temps.
i9-10900F
Stock one that came with it
Z590 AORUS ELITE AX
Forgot just know its 32g
Samsung SSD 870 1TB
1660 Ventus
its a off brand "kdmpower 750w" psu. Im in need of an upgrade haha
Not sure but has pretty decent airflow
Windows 10
Msi 144hz
about 70F-80F

Jun 2, 2023
@angolo
Thermal paste can pump out over time. When did you look at it? If you removed the heatsink, everything needs to be thoroughly cleaned and the paste needs to be replaced.

The heatsink could be loose. It needs to be snug to the CPU.
I will look at that, thanks. And for the thermal paste how would I know its bad?

Turn off your computer and let it cool down, then turn it on, enter the Bios to see what is the CPU temperature and how fast the cooling fan is running. Take a shot with your smartphone for reference.

Remember to turn off the smart fan control so that you can see the real RPM of the fan. Sometimes thr fan is stuck and can't spin at its max RPM.

Jun 2, 2023
Turn off your computer and let it cool down, then turn it on, enter the Bios to see what is the CPU temperature and how fast the cooling fan is running. Take a shot with your smartphone for reference.

Remember to turn off the smart fan control so that you can see the real RPM of the fan. Sometimes thr fan is stuck and can't spin at its max RPM.
I use HWmonitor so I dont have to go into bios. Even after I let it cool down it shoots right up to 100C. The cpu fan is about 3200 Rpm and the Sys fan is about 600 rpm

Jun 2, 2023

I just tried putting new thermal paste and im still having trouble

There's only two reasons it would be this hot at idle: a severe hardware failure in CPU/motherboard power delivery or the CPU cooler is not applying enough pressure on the CPU. You could check CPU voltages to make sure those are at least in the right area.

If you have the money for it (and where you live has availability) buying a good quality inexpensive tower cooler would probably be a good idea no matter.

well that cant be it because it seems the same as when I first put it on. Ill still apply some new thermal paste just incase
Just to be sure which thermal paste are you using o_O
Really look into this and consider using it from now on.

Some brands are absolutely useless with a cpu like that.
Put 4 dots of paste on each corner of the cpu, put one dot in the middle.
Put the heatsink and twist it gently like an oreo, take it off and make the cpu is nicely covered.

Also make sure you clean off the off the old grease from the cpu and heatsink.
Lint free paper towel, alcohol and wash cloth to remove any streaks for a nice shine look.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
What's an "Oreo"? Sorry I couldn't resist that quip, living as I do on the other side of the Atlantic where this brand of biscuit (cookie) is less common.

I agree though the stock heatsink is less than ideal for CPU of this calibre. Buy a better aftermarket cooler, but there's probably something we lose wrong if temperatures immediately jump to 100C.

You might try setting the BIOS back to its default state, to disable any unintentional overclock or overvolt setting. That is if you can get into the BIOS before the CPU hits 100C.

Last edited:

BarderoJ

Prominent
Oct 27, 2022
i9-10900F
Stock one that came with it
Z590 AORUS ELITE AX
Forgot just know its 32g
Samsung SSD 870 1TB
1660 Ventus
its a off brand "kdmpower 750w" psu. Im in need of an upgrade haha
Not sure but has pretty decent airflow
Windows 10
Msi 144hz
about 70F-80F
1. gl trying to cool 10900 with stock cooler xD
2. your 100c is at idle or during load?
3. did you apply thermal paste? remove plastic film on a cooler?
4. are all your cores hitting 100c? or any specific one?