[SOLVED] CPU limitations based on motherboard purchase?

habibrobert

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
Hello,

I'm trying to build a small NAS server. I'm planning on using a mini-itx motherboard. On a review for one particular board I was interested in, someone wrote the following:

"CPU might not get max performance because max power settings on the board are constricting, 150w short, 100w long"

Can someone clarify what exactly this reviewer is referring to? Is he referring to the overclocking stats? Or is he saying that higher CPU clock speeds will be limited by the board's performance? The motherboard in question fits socket LGA 1200. If the above written is referring to CPU clock speed limitations, how can the maximum clock speed I can use without being limited by the board? I just don't want to pay for an expensive CPU model with a high clock speed and have it perform sub-optimally. If it makes any difference, I don't intend to overclock

I hope what I'm asking makes sense. I realize I'm not the most well-versed in this type of lingo. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
no issue with that CPU, it wont even reach 100watts on full load, but if you plan to upgrade cpu to lets say 10400K or F..then u might see lower boost clock on those

habibrobert

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
hes reffering to mainboard VRM, cpu will throttle if you feed it with poor VRM setup
so what he says means...if you buy high core count cpu, boost clock on those will be throttled 150w for short burst (light tasks), 100w for high demanding tasks
thanks so much for your reply! What is considered a high core count? Like is an -5 considered a high core model?

TRENDING THREADS