tomirock

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
Thanks for reading and considering responding to this post.
I just bought a new laptop from Dell. Unfortunately the folks there (sales) couldn't define the difference between a Pentium 4 and a Pentium M chip.
Frustrated, I purchased a Pentium 4, 3.2 w/HT.
When in doubt, go big.
I'm looking for some basics here. Like the differences between these chips. They said something like a PM 1.5 was equal to a P4 2.8 but they had no idea why.

Also, will I see a difference between a 40 Gb harddrive at 4200 rpm and a 60 Gb drive at 7200 rpm?
Usage will be internet, word processing, digital photo editing, maybe some gaming.

endyen

Splendid
The difference between P4 and PM is in the number of pipelines. Well I guess that's no help.
The PM does more work per clock cycle, while the P4 does a lot more clock cycles.
Because the PM works shorter, it has much lower power requirements. It is usually as fast as a P4 with 40+% more speed.
The PM is a better "laptop" while the P4 is a better "desktop replacement"
The 7200 hdd will really show it's value, when you do photo editing and in load times for games.
BTW the P4M would be closer to a P4@ 2.4.
With the same options an A64 system would be a faster system, with much better gaming.

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
I actually work at a retailer selling notebooks and I have had many a heated debate with the intel rep. If I remember correctly here is what he told me about the pentium M (Now I may be incorrect): the pentium M vs. p4 is pentiumM has more on-die cache and less power consumption than a p4 hence a cooler operating temp. Now going by just this I would have to say that in certain apps then yes the extra cache could make up for the slower clock speed, but a difference of 1.5-2.8ghz I doubt that 1mb more cache could make up for that huge speed difference. But the M's do use a little bit less battery power but not quite to the extent of the centrino's. I always ask my customers what they want to do with their notebook and if video editing comes into the picture then I ALWAYS recommend the p4's over the M's.
And about the diff in hard drives, I have 2 hd's in my machine, one is an old 60gb 4200, and one is an 80gb 7200. When I am encoding video I always do it on the 7200 because I notice a slighty faster encoding time. So IMO the diff in rpm's makes a pretty big difference.

<i> If the creator of the human body is "The Ultimate Engineer", why did he put a recreation site right next to a waste treatment area? </i>

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
is the PM also known as centrino? I get all messed up when it comes to labtops and pentium's

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623</A>
46,510 , movin on up. 48k new goal. Maybe not.. :/

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's bigger than that! Remember how the PIII 1000EB was faster than the P4 1.4GHz in many apps? The P-M is a redesigned PIII. The PIII is far more efficient, the P-M is more efficient still, a tad better clock for clock than most XP processors. The P-M 1.8GHz competes well with the XP 2600+ which I believe is 1833MHz. That puts them in P4 2.6 performance leagues, but with much lower power consumption.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Yeah P4's are real Bad 'Clock for Clock wise... spose thats why their ditching the Pentium4 (Netburst) architecture for the older more efficent Pentium3 (P6) architecture - look on google for 'Intel Conroe' - due out in 2005-2006... based on a laptop chip (based on Pentium-M) with dual core, 64-bit, 4mb cache etc... aparently its a laptop chip aimed at performance not power saving... has anyone got any previews of it???

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
The Centrino is the P-M with an official wireless card, same procesor. Some P-M's come with wireless cards that are just as good but aren't official. I think the mobo is the same, not sure.

endyen

Splendid
The xp 2600+ came in three different speeds, but 1833 is not one of them. The xp2500+s run at 1833. The 1.8 PM is not quite as fast as the xp2500+ in most benches. Still very impresive due to the difference in fsb The fsb of the xp is 2/3s faster.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Point well taken, I should have said 2500+ but I can't keep all the performance numbers and equivalent frequencies straight. I didn't think it was worth my time to actually look it up this time, sorry.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I get all confused with pentium labtops. I just know the people in my office are complaining that it's slower ghz. :D

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623</A>
46,510 , movin on up. 48k new goal. Maybe not.. :/

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe. Tell them that it performs more work per GHz, weighs much less, and the battery last longer. Then tell them if they get a big heavy laptop with 2 hours of battery life that they can't carry around for more than a few minutes before dislocation their shoulder, they have no room to complain.