BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
Hi! So basically whenever I'm playing games like Apex or R6, I get choppy framerates, and when I check task manager my CPU is always running at 99 or 100% while my GPU runs at closer to 90%. I don't have any super demanding background tasks or anything that's taking up my CPU except for the game. Temps are normal also, always around 50-60 C in game. Is this just a sign that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU, or is something else happening? Thanks!
Specs:
i5-7600K
GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4 Mushkin Redline
HP EVO 920 500GB SSD
750W EVGA

Solution
My temps during gaming are only around 60 and they go to around 40 at idle I'm pretty sure. I have 2x8GB
Just to be honest your PC is doing about all it can do.

Overclock the processor some and turn your settings down just a bit or lock your FPS a bit lower than you usually get.

You never listed your memory speed but slow memory can affect your 1% low.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
My temps during gaming are only around 60 and they go to around 40 at idle I'm pretty sure. I have 2x8GB

Overclock the processor some and turn your settings down just a bit or lock your FPS a bit lower than you usually get.

Solution

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017

Ok yea that makes sense, I'm planning on upgrading to a 3070 whenever I can get my hands on one, which then I assume that my CPU will be way underpreforming for the 3070.

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
It's an written rule, never run games uncapped especially when you are CPU bottlenecked. Say you getting about 155 FPS ingame when uncapped, than you should cap your game to 140-150 FPS.
GPU is only pushing out frame for you game but CPU needs to do other stuff and when it does that you start getting choppy framerates. For instance, your game is pushing 170 fps and cpu is pinned to 100%. All of sudden CPU needs to handle few interrupts but there is no free processing capacity. So it going to slow your game but "only as much as necessary". That causes the stutter because each interrupt requires different amount of CPU capacity and your game is going to speed up and slow down rapidly. Your fps is going to jump between something like 130 - 150. lower FPS is better then unstable fps.
Also you don't really notice this if you are GPU bound because your GPU will be pinned to 100% so the CPU can't run the game any faster which leaves other processes with a fixed CPU capacity.