Question CPU Mobo light on, peripherals off

ridahwouters

Reputable
May 17, 2017
Hi!

So i'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but it seems most appropriate. I'm having an issue when I plug in the second 8gb stick of ram. It is in the correct slot, but whenever plugged in, the PC, goes into a bootloop. Thus, I assumed it was a bad stick. However, after cleaning out the ram slots and plugging in the second stick of ram, the pc starts up and picks up all 16gb of ram. However, within 2 minutes of logging in, the screen, keyboard and mouse turns off and only a red cpu light on the MOBO turns on. I'm then forced to hard reset. As a temporary solution, i've removed the second stick of ram and pc works perfectly fine. Is it a bad stick?

PC Specs:
Mobo - b450 tomahaw
CPU - ryzen 5 2600
GPU - Nvidia gtx 1660
Ram - 2 x 8gb ddr4 3200 G skill ripjaw V

Thanks!

ZorakXT

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
Try entering BIOS and resetting it to default. If that doesn't work, try powering off your computer completely (unplugging it and turning the switch off). Then removing both sticks and reinstalling them. Afterwards clear your CMOS. There should be a button to do so, you can find it in the manual. After that. Turn everything back on. If there is no button, you can remove the little battery for 30 seconds before reinstalling.

My computer wasn't booting properly (lights would come on, but no power was being sent to the peripherals or monitor) when I messed with my RAM placement/upgraded my CPU. The above steps solved it. I think it's because the computer is trying to boot with incorrect settings that were configured for another thing and therefore can't start. But restoring things to default fixes it.

ridahwouters

Reputable
May 17, 2017
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. So reset the bios, removed the little battery, flashed the bios to the latest update. Windows now shows 16gb of ram but says 8gb is reserved and greyed out. Not sure what to do other than to send the ram kit back to be checked and possibly replaced?