Question CPU of my laptop (Ryzen 5600H) constantly overthrottling when laptop is plugged in ?

Houdtje

Honorable
Oct 5, 2016
My CPU is constantly on maximum frequency (or overthrottling) when I plug in my laptop. Even when the laptop is completely idle and only has 3% load this happens. I have a ASUS Zenbook UX425QA laptop.

More specifically, the CPU goes up to 3.8-4 GHZ while the base frequency is 3.3. Because of this, my CPU temp goes up to around 90 degrees Celcius which honestly is insane. When I unplug the device, it immediately throttles back to a normal frequency and the laptop cools down.

I already tried to fix the problem myself. I changed the power plan which didn't change anything. I updated all drivers, did a Bios updated and installed all the windows 11 updates. Also installed the power management software from AMD itself but this didn't seem to change anything as well. I would be really grateful if anybody has any idea or suggestions that I could try out that could fix this.

Lutfij

Titan
For the sake of relevance, can you state what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time? See if you can reinstall your chipset drivers sourced from AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. The last thing I'd do is backup all critical content, recreate the bootable USB installer for Windows 11 and then try and reinstall the OS without the www connected to avoid the OS from installing drivers on it's own.

Houdtje

Honorable
Oct 5, 2016
For the sake of relevance, can you state what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time? See if you can reinstall your chipset drivers sourced from AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. The last thing I'd do is backup all critical content, recreate the bootable USB installer for Windows 11 and then try and reinstall the OS without the www connected to avoid the OS from installing drivers on it's own.

Thank you for your answer. I already reinstalled the chipset drivers through the installer of the AMD website. I will try running it again as administrator but I doubt it will change anything. And indeed my last resort will be reinstalling a clean windows sadly. I also just noticed that if I close Chrome the frequency doesn't stay all the time at 100% but fluctuates between 80-95%. It's a weird issue!

Houdtje

Honorable
Oct 5, 2016
Check in your MY ASUS APP to see what power profile it is set at. It may override the windows setting if it is set to performance mode.
I already checked in MyASUS for this option but I don't seem to be able to find it. The only options I have are the battery loading profile (which doesn't influence the frequency, I checked), the fan mode (high performance etc , again only influences the fan speed) and some audio settings. Could you point out to me where I could find an option regarding the CPU?