Question CPU Overheat Error - Windows won't boot (blank screen)

jacobblake

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
I recently restarted my PC and got this error. It won't let me boot into windows. I went into the BIOS and it says my CPU temp is 38C. How am I getting this error? I've gotten my CPU temp way higher than that with no problems. I cleaned the CPU and heatsink and reapplied thermal paste. I'm still getting the same error. If it helps, I'm using a Corsair h100i v2 that is around 2 years old. I felt of the two hoses and one is cool and one is warm. That should mean it's working correctly, no?

Edit: so it's like everytime I restart, I get new temps. One time was 70C, the next 38C, then 54C. I noticed the closer on the hose you get to the radiator from the block, the cooler the hose gets. If I smack it around, the whole hose will warm up for a little bit. Maybe the pump is failing? If so, why would this cause Windows to not boot even if the temps are decent?

Edit2: also, the Corsair logo on the block is red indicating overheating even when the temp in the BIOS are in 30s or 40s.

USAFRet

Titan
I felt of the two hoses and one is cool and one is warm. That should mean it's working correctly, no?
Quite the opposite.
It means something has failed.
Either the pump is not pumping, or you have an air pocket.

There should be almost zero different in the temp of the supply and return pipes.
I have a temp sensor attached to each of the pipes on my Cryorig A80, reading the surface temp of the pipes.
As I sit here writing this, 25.5C and 25.6C.
0.1C difference.

Only at a very high load could you feel a difference with your hand.

Reactions: PC Tailor

jacobblake

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
Quite the opposite.
It means something has failed.
Either the pump is not pumping, or you have an air pocket.

There should be almost zero different in the temp of the supply and return pipes.
I have a temp sensor attached to each of the pipes on my Cryorig A80, reading the surface temp of the pipes.
As I sit here writing this, 25.5C and 25.6C.
0.1C difference.

Only at a very high load could you feel a difference with your hand.
I ordered a cheap fan on Amazon to replace it for now.

So if the pump has failed, would that make it to where Windows doesnt boot?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The failure to boot is VERY likely the way the mobo is protecting your CPU chip from overheating. And it is doing that because it has detected a FAILURE of the cooling device that is plugged ino the CPU_FAN header - and that is the PUMP part of your H100i system. This is exactly why it is important to plug that pump device into that particular mobo header. The mobo has detected NO speed signal from the pump and has interpreted that to mean the pump is not working at all. This is confirmed by your observation that one hose from pump to rad is hot near the pump, but cooler near the rad. There is no liquid flowing through that hose. I bet if you look in BIOS Setup at the speed of the item it calls "CPU_FAN", it will say zero.

I fully expect you need to replace the pump unit.

jacobblake

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
The failure to boot is VERY likely the way the mobo is protecting your CPU chip from overheating. And it is doing that because it has detected a FAILURE of the cooling device that is plugged ino the CPU_FAN header - and that is the PUMP part of your H100i system. This is exactly why it is important to plug that pump device into that particular mobo header. The mobo has detected NO speed signal from the pump and has interpreted that to mean the pump is not working at all. This is confirmed by your observation that one hose from pump to rad is hot near the pump, but cooler near the rad. There is no liquid flowing through that hose. I bet if you look in BIOS Setup at the speed of the item it calls "CPU_FAN", it will say zero.

I checked and CPU_FAN in the bios is showing a value. Amazon just delivered a cheap fan and heatsink, so I'm gonna put it in and see if it works. I will post an update.

jacobblake

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015

UPDATE: Installed new fan and heatsink and windows still wont boot.

UPDATE 2: I'm gonna try to repair Windows via USB drive and see if that works

Last edited:

jacobblake

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
I figured out why Windows wouldn't boot.

Before I did the restart that broke things, I installed ExamShield to take a proctored cert test for ITIL. That's what kept me from booting Windows. After I installed the replacement fan, Windows still wouldn't boot so I created a Windows Repair on a USB drive and booted from that and did a system restore. Windows booted fine. I reinstalled ExamShield because my test is tonight, did a restart, and Windows wouldn't boot again.

I installed ExamShield on my laptop just fine. For some reason, my gaming rig doesnt like it.