CPU overheat while running prime95

Status
Not open for further replies.

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I have Intel core2quad q6600 2.4 CPU which i brought 3 years ago. It ran fine 37C-40C while ideal and 58C-63C while play games or CPU at full load.

But now CPU temperature rise over 75C while gaming. And also I found a software called prime95 and ran it.
Then after 7 or 8 minutes is rises over 80C so i stopped prime95.(I used core temp to measure, and speed fan gives 10C different to that)

After that remove CPU fan and clean it. But nothing is changed. I am sure i fix CPU correctly and reapplied thermal compound also. So what's wrong please help :( :(

And also I have little worry about my CPU fan, It is same old which is came with stock. And I set CPU fan speed to full in bios, But I get 2500rpm-2900rpm which is shown in Speed Fan software.Is this normal or I have to change CPU fan?

Please help... :( :( :(

Solution
for VGA only if the screen does not appear Artifax replace thermal paste and clean the heatsink .

for PSU, I've never heard of it .. ? and this characteristic feature of the PSU will be damaged, if pressing the power button on the main computer is not immediately long time turn on PC, when PC turn on then you will hear a noise from the PSU
hmm ... if only there is a good PSU you can replace it , just my opinion.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
First not to break your heart but you need to realize some things:

1) that processor is a POS. 65nm wasteful quad core. very reminiscent of the prescotts that would run a bagillion degrees and eat a nuclear power plant alive.

2) if you are sure you applied thermal paste correctly and the heatsink is clean + applied properly then you need a bigger fan

3) under clock if necessary

4) place additional fans for push/pull

again, q6600 is a POS and TOMS recommended the hell out of it. while your q6600 is running a bagillion degrees and giving you heartache right now, my E8500 is running at 48 degrees full load oc @ 3.8 gighz.

Not trying to pick on you - just trying to pick on the idiots who might have recommended that POS processor from you. shame on Toms for giving out foolish advice.

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Thanks you all for reply, And I have 3 system fans front blow in back blow out and side blow out, i think that cooling is enough,

Do you think that I should change my stock CPU cooler? Its RPM is bad or anything, because I don't want to loose my money if my stock cooler is good.

And i think under clock is not a good idea because i play games so I need my CPU to give it best,

So what do you recommend me to do? :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
What do you mean "actually speed intel stock fan max 1500 - 1800 RPM"

My stock CPU fan is 2500RPM - 2900 RPM but i think this is not normal because i set full CPU fan speed in bios,
i think it should run 3500-4000 RPM if i am wrong please tell me what to do?

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Yes i saw it, it says Intel Q6600 Stock Aluminum/Copper Cooler
Fan Measurements

Voltage Speed SPL@1m
12V 2460 RPM 31 dBA

So i believe my CPU fan is OK then.

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

What do you recommend me to do first, please tell me solution, It seems like my fan RPM is OK, So changing CPU fan is not necessary.

Please help me what i should do? :( :( :(

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Yes I forgot to mention, My computer turn of itself while plying games, I think CPU is over heating.
What do you recommend me to do?

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

OK, My computer is assembled by me 3 years ago in 2008, all parts except PSU and VGA.(PSU and VGA only 1.5 year old)

Foxconn MARS motherboard
Intel core2quad q6600 2.4
2GB*3 kingston ram.
Gigabyte geforce 9800gt VGA
500W delux PSU

for VGA only if the screen does not appear Artifax replace thermal paste and clean the heatsink .

for PSU, I've never heard of it .. ? and this characteristic feature of the PSU will be damaged, if pressing the power button on the main computer is not immediately long time turn on PC, when PC turn on then you will hear a noise from the PSU
hmm ... if only there is a good PSU you can replace it , just my opinion.

Solution

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

scaled.php

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/19072011231.jpg

I posted image of My PSU, Honestly I don't know quality of it.
I am not hearing any noises form PSU other than psu fan noise.
How to check quality of PSU, i mean to check if it has actual 500W

(imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/19072011231.jpg)

i would considder replacing the cpu hsf with something like a cheap zalman 9500a led... it offers more than enough cooling and wont break the bank at £25 or cheaper.

also switch the side fan to blow in to the case. the side fan is there to help cool the gpu and cpu directly if you set the side fan to pull out the case your removing the air b4 it has the chance to collect heat from the components...
your back fan and psu fan will give enough outflow without the side fan increasing what may already be a high negative case pressure you only ever want a slight negative pressure if thats how you run your cooling... personally i prefer a balanced or positive pressure as i use filters... negative preasure negates filters...

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
I just looked at your pics on the power supply. Very heavy on the 3.3v and 5v rails while the 12v rails only get 20 amps. The name also has a P4 after it making me think it was designed and really manufactured for the..... toasty netburst p4's.

I'd change the power supply if i were you with a reputable unit from Seasonic, XFX, Corsair, Antec, etc.

But first, follow hexit's suggestion to just get a cheap cpu cooler and see if that stops your heating issues. But i'd still replace the psu...

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Thanks for the advise, I think what i should do first is to check my PSU, unfortunately i don't know how to do that my self, So i have take it to some professional electrician.

And thanks everyone who gave me their ideas and thoughts.

I'll post hear when I Checked my PSU.
Until then thanks to everyone :hello: :hello:

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

I will change side fan to blow in.
It is actually created by me, Originally there wasn't any fan so I drilled the case and put a fan there.

But i feel that my PSU isn't good enough so i'm going to check it with a professional electrician.
And thank you for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

It's look like my PSU has big issue. No one even know that brand exists, First thing i'm going to do is check my
PSU with a professional electrician.

And thanks for your ideas. :) :)

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
20072011235.jpg

OK guys I still unable to check my PSU because I have to remove it and take it to the out side,

But I want to be sure one thing,

I have foxconn Mars motherboard which comes with 24 pin + 8 pin near CPU, My PSU does support for 24 pin but it has 4 pin for the power socket near CPU,

Is that a issue? Do I should have 8 pin as well? :??: :??:

Motherboard manual book says it is recommended but 4 pin is usable.

Please tell me is that OK :??: :??:
Is that 8 pin for CPU power? :??: :??:

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
i dont think 20 amps on the 12v rail for a "500w" psu is enough. iirc antec's ea430d and corsair cx430 v2 has around 27-30amps on the 12v rail.... and those are the lowest psu's id ever put in a system of any sort.

Replace it my friend, it'll do you better in the long run + give you less headaches later on.

Budget units i love to recommend
Antec EA380D
Corsair CX430V2

Status
Not open for further replies.