[SOLVED] CPU overheating after some hours turned off

Jun 7, 2019
Hi,

My computer started overheating (>80°) every time I turn it on again after some hours off (>5 hours).

Then I just open the case, tighten the cables, and it starts working normally again, and I am able to use it the whole day without any problem.

Next day, the same thing, overheating after turning it on.

I didn't change anything on my computer last days. It started suddenly this week.

I just noticed it because the water cooling started to make a lot of noise suddenly, and it usually works silently.

Does anyone have any idea?

Regards.

Specs:
PSU 750W
CPU Intel Core i5 7500 @3.40GHz
GPU NVIDIA Geforce GRX 1070
SSD WDC WDS120G1G0A-00SS50
HDD ST1000DM010-2EP102
WATER COOLER

Last edited:
Solution
well if the pump is similar to most submersible pumps (internal) there would be a small turbine that is magnetic, ( Im comparing to a fish tank pump) , but I do believe the basics of the pump are the same, it could be gunked up, not allowing the turbine to spin (I have had this happen with other submersible pumps) and in that instance sometimes tapping on them made them work again, other times physically removing the turbine and cleaning worked. (I dont think that is an option in this case however) personally I would think the pump is starting to fail, if it were my PC, id remove the cooler and test out of the case if possible, perhaps also the water block has buildup, from what I understand the waterblock often have very tiny fins...
Jun 7, 2019
Hi, thanks for the reply!

As I remember, yes! one waterline was hotter than the other. I'll do the test again if it happens again just to make sure.

Does that mean that it will need replacement?

Regards

Could be a problem with your pump seizing up. After making sure all fans are running. Check if one of the waterlines is warm/hot and the other is cool.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

As I remember, yes! one waterline was hotter than the other. I'll do the test again if it happens again just to make sure.

Does that mean that it will need replacement?

Regards

If the pump is failing. Yes, those are sealed units. Even if a repair was possible the risk of leaking would be too high.

As far as noise goes. The pump and the fans are the only moving parts. If it isn't the fans making noise. Then it is time for a new unit. If it is the fans making noise. Replace them with high static pressure fans not high air flow.

Reactions: joaobonzi
Jun 7, 2019
That's really bad.. I don't know what's the problem with this computer, it's new, I bought it last year and so far it only gave me headaches.

First was problem with electricity that every now and then when. Someone turned the ight swticher on in my house, the computer would.restart.. so I had to buy a nobreak to fix that..

Then my hdd after some months of use jus started failing and I lost it. Sent to the warranty and got another one..

And now the water cooling starting to fail as well..

What can be causing all that damage?

Jun 7, 2019
Hi guys,

the problem disappeared for a moment but now it's back. I noticed it happens when the weather is COLD (around 10°C) here. So the computer stays off from one day to another and somehow the other day the water doesnt flow in the tubes. One stays warmer than the other. And after some moment, I can hear the sound of water starting flowing again and the temperature immediately dropping.

Any idea?

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Im not sure why it would only happen when its cold, could it be the liquid inside thickens some when its cold preventing the flow, and once warm it flows properly? just a thought as I dont know for sure what could be causing this issue

Reactions: joaobonzi
Jun 7, 2019
I heard some topics people saying something about air lock. It seems to make some sense. When I turn on my PC I can hear the water flowing for 2-3 seconds and the the sound disappears, and the temperature rise up. So the pumps seems to be actually working. If I shake some tubes or turn my pc upside down, it starts working again sometimes. :|

Jun 7, 2019
Im not sure why it would only happen when its cold, could it be the liquid inside thickens some when its cold preventing the flow, and once warm it flows properly? just a thought as I dont know for sure what could be causing this issue
Sometimes it stops working when it's warm as well, but more often when it's cold (or just coincidence maybe).

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well if the pump is similar to most submersible pumps (internal) there would be a small turbine that is magnetic, ( Im comparing to a fish tank pump) , but I do believe the basics of the pump are the same, it could be gunked up, not allowing the turbine to spin (I have had this happen with other submersible pumps) and in that instance sometimes tapping on them made them work again, other times physically removing the turbine and cleaning worked. (I dont think that is an option in this case however) personally I would think the pump is starting to fail, if it were my PC, id remove the cooler and test out of the case if possible, perhaps also the water block has buildup, from what I understand the waterblock often have very tiny fins that the water flows threw, Ive seen many many videos showing how easy they can gunk up. if your unit is a AIO though you may not be able to see these places or even fix them . but to me it really sounds like the pump is starting to fail

Solution

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I heard some topics people saying something about air lock. It seems to make some sense. When I turn on my PC I can hear the water flowing for 2-3 seconds and the the sound disappears, and the temperature rise up. So the pumps seems to be actually working. If I shake some tubes or turn my pc upside down, it starts working again sometimes. :|
if its an air lock you could bleed the lines, assuming this isn't a AIO unit if its a AIO unit and its airlocked I dont think there is much you can do other than replace as I dont think AIO units have a way to re add liquid. but then Id wonder (if it is a AIO unit) how it could of air locked in the first place assuming it was working correctly before. depending on its age however it could very well be corrosion etc in the unit itself. if there is a way to perhaps bleed the lines you could always re add distiled water with an algae inhibitor to prevent 'slime"