[SOLVED] CPU overheating issue fixed by bios update is back

Mar 27, 2022
A couple of months ago while playing FarCry 6 my computer started experiencing random crashes in-game. At first after about an hour and steadily shortening to as low as 1-2 minutes. I initially shrugged it off as the game; however, the issue started appearing in more games. I started diagnosing and noticed my cpu fans were always running and my cpu temp was idling at 60 and was up to 100 on game load. Any load at all was pushing it to 80. The temps did not rise steadily but instead jumped to those ranges, acting as if I didn't even have cooling. These are my specs.

ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-11700KF Processor (8X 3.60GHz/16MB L3 Cache)
Processor CoolingiBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black
MotherboardASROCK Z590-C AC - WIFI, ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 6 Type-A ), M.2 Slot (3)

I took my system in to a tech and after no clear indication of an issue with the cooler or thermal paste suggested running a bios update. I was hesitant because the cpu was always running hot and shutting down at random. We ended up trying a new processor and cooler to no avail. Out of options I just went with the bios update and my issue was fixed.

Under stress testing my temp did not exceed 100 and my idle was back around 40. This was about 2 weeks ago.

Last nightI decided since my pc is stable again I would give FarCry 6 another go and my cpu fans started revving up while downloading the game. I noticed the temps climbing to 70 suspiciously even spiking to 100 and my pc crashed just during the download.

I finished the download overnight without another crash but began diagnosing this morning. I loaded up Dishonored 2 to test since I'm close to the 2 hour return window on FarCry and it crashed within 2 minutes in-game.

I am not a hardware guru by any means. Does anybody have any ideas why a bios update would have fixed my initial issue and why it would return so abruptly? It seems like a coincidence but could there be something about Far Cry 6 install that's triggering this?

I am currently on Z590-cac 1.70 bios. I believe I will try uninstalling FarCry and reloading the bios. Could this just be a sign of a malfunctioning motherboard?

Solution
malfunctioning motherboard
Sounds more like a malfunctioning cooler or improperly installed cooler.

Under stress testing
What kind of stress testing?

I like to run a consistent stress test like Cinebench R20 or R23.

Check out power consumption and your CPU temperature while this test is running. I have my 10850K overclocked slightly to 5000 MHz all core. During Cinebench testing the heatsink is able to dissipate 234W while keeping the CPU at 82°C. At default specs there would be less power consumption and less heat.

How is your cooler performing during this test? I am using a Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT...
malfunctioning motherboard
Sounds more like a malfunctioning cooler or improperly installed cooler.

Under stress testing
What kind of stress testing?

I like to run a consistent stress test like Cinebench R20 or R23.

Check out power consumption and your CPU temperature while this test is running. I have my 10850K overclocked slightly to 5000 MHz all core. During Cinebench testing the heatsink is able to dissipate 234W while keeping the CPU at 82°C. At default specs there would be less power consumption and less heat.

How is your cooler performing during this test? I am using a Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT.
https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categ...oling/iCUE-RGB-PRO-XT-Coolers/p/CW-9060044-WW

dyj7CPt.png

Solution
Mar 27, 2022
Cinebench spikes my temp straight to 111 in nzxtcam.

I installed a couple of others (hwmonitor and hwinfo64) to sanity check and get power reads.

Peak package power is at 210W but it doesn't seem like it's able to dissipate the heat.

I'm going to pick up another cooler tomorrow and give that a go.

Last edited:
It peaked at 210W but even at only 78W, your CPU is still running at 115°C. There is definitely something wrong with the cooler or with the installation of it. The cooler needs to be tight to the CPU for proper heat transfer.

Who built your computer? The maximum Intel recommended temperature for your CPU is 100°C.
Junction Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...700kf-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

Someone has gone into the BIOS and deliberately changed this to 115°C. If a tech did that, I would not let him work on my bicycle let alone my computer. This supposed fix for your cooling problems will have your CPU reaching temperatures that are out of spec. Long term, core temperatures over 100°C can damage your CPU. That is why Intel sets the default thermal throttling temperature to 100°C for the vast majority of CPUs they produce.

It would be a good idea to go into the BIOS and set the maximum temperature back to the Intel recommended value, 100°C.

Who built your computer?
Looks like ibuypower prebuilt. Typical for them (and not only them) - use inadequate cooling solution and somewhat fix that by allowing CPU to run higher temps then normally allowed. The CPU will die? Not their problem when it happens after warranty.
Although competent 240 mm AIO should be able to tame 11700K, so the question is whether it was badly built or used one of those cooling units that look better then they work.

Mar 27, 2022
Yes, it's an ibuypower but I customized most of it, but left the default cooler. I should have done better research to find their aio are prone to failure. I didn't notice that the thermals had been adjusted (fairly sure that's not the tech).

Ideally I'd want it to stay under 100 regardless. Will take off the cooler today when I'm off work and see if I can find another one to install.

Mar 27, 2022
It peaked at 210W but even at only 78W, your CPU is still running at 115°C. There is definitely something wrong with the cooler or with the installation of it. The cooler needs to be tight to the CPU for proper heat transfer.

Who built your computer? The maximum Intel recommended temperature for your CPU is 100°C.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...700kf-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

Someone has gone into the BIOS and deliberately changed this to 115°C. If a tech did that, I would not let him work on my bicycle let alone my computer. This supposed fix for your cooling problems will have your CPU reaching temperatures that are out of spec. Long term, core temperatures over 100°C can damage your CPU. That is why Intel sets the default thermal throttling temperature to 100°C for the vast majority of CPUs they produce.

It would be a good idea to go into the BIOS and set the maximum temperature back to the Intel recommended value, 100°C.

Got a new NZXT x73 today and everything it's sitting at 60 under full load.

Two screws on the right side of the backplate were stripped so only the left side was making full contact.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Reactions: uWebb429