threepeak

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
I'm thinking about upgrading to a ryzen 5 2600 from an i5-6400. I'll have to pickup a new mobo as well due to the socket switch to AM4. I've been hesitating to pull the trigger, because I know that as back to school ramps up, you often see lots of tech deals targeted towards students. So part of me was thinking just wait until then. However, that's always on things like laptops and general tech. I can't recall ever hearing about PC components like CPU's being on a back to school sale. Usually it seems to me like it's just prefab stuff or accessories. I know it changes from year to year, and it's impossible to predict, but am I likely to see a decent sale on a CPU like that? Do components like that usually go on sale for the back to school season?

Solution
I have a barely used Cooler Master 690 case I was hoping to use with it (original cm 690, not the ver 2 or 3). So getting the best value I can out of the cpu and Mobo purchase would be quite helpful

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
If you want to build a Ryzen 5 2600 based system, now is a good time to buy.
A Ryzen 5 2600 is currently selling for $134 on Amazon.
If you are comfortable overclocking it, you can easily get 2600x performance out of it.
If you don't want to overclock you can get a Ryzen 5 2600x for $149.
So if you buy a decent B450 motherboard for around $120 and 16 GBs of 3200 MHz RAM for about $100 you can upgrade for $350 to $450.

Reactions: CountMike

threepeak

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
If you want to build a Ryzen 5 2600 based system, now is a good time to buy.
A Ryzen 5 2600 is currently selling for $134 on Amazon.
If you are comfortable overclocking it, you can easily get 2600x performance out of it.
If you don't want to overclock you can get a Ryzen 5 2600x for $149.
So if you buy a decent B450 motherboard for around $120 and 16 GBs of 3200 MHz RAM for about $100 you can upgrade for $350 to $450.

No reason to think we might see any kind of further discount or sale on it closer to back to school? I only ask because I know that the 2600 went down to $105 at multiple places during the amazon prime day sale. Obviously, this isn't the same thing. I should also mention I am in Canada. So that means that the very reasonable $134 you would pay, would be horribly inflated by the exchange rate to around $185+, AND they inexplicably jack up the price beyond the straight exchange rate as well and say that it's to "meet the needs of each market" (cough cough bullshit). Oh...did I mention they will also likely charge a chunk for shipping AND customs and fees if I were to try and order it from the non inflated canadian version of the site? That reasonable $134 turns into roughly $216 before the import tax is charged at the door usually for another $15-30. So to those who are wondering why I would be so concerned with saving, even $10-$20 off the price in USD actually scales up to quite a bit more savings for me

threepeak

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
I have a barely used Cooler Master 690 case I was hoping to use with it (original cm 690, not the ver 2 or 3). So getting the best value I can out of the cpu and Mobo purchase would be quite helpful

Solution