[SOLVED] CPU says its at 100c but it its super cold inside

EduardoG357

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
Hi, so I just finished switching out all of my components to a new pc case from my old one and now I am on my desktop and hardware monitor says my cpu temp is at 100c and only drops down to 99c and never goes higher than 100c. All these componets worked earlier today in my old case and I even added brand new thermal paste on my cpu but I do not know what the problem is . I have a i58400 .

Solution
The temperature inside your case doesn't mean much. If the CPU heatsink is not making proper contact with the CPU itself, then the CPU can be scalding hot, but the heatsink over top of it may be cool to the touch, since it can't transfer that heat to the cooler. At anywhere near 100C, the CPU will also be throttling performance way down to try to keep the temperatures in check to avoid damaging the CPU.
Your cooler either isn't mounted properly and isn't making contact with the CPU, or if you have a water cooler then the pump isn't working, either because it's not plugged in or it has failed.

Remount the cooler and double check to make sure everything is connected.

The temperature inside your case doesn't mean much. If the CPU heatsink is not making proper contact with the CPU itself, then the CPU can be scalding hot, but the heatsink over top of it may be cool to the touch, since it can't transfer that heat to the cooler. At anywhere near 100C, the CPU will also be throttling performance way down to try to keep the temperatures in check to avoid damaging the CPU.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

Siusiujuju

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hi, so I just finished switching out all of my components to a new pc case from my old one and now I am on my desktop and hardware monitor says my cpu temp is at 100c and only drops down to 99c and never goes higher than 100c. All these componets worked earlier today in my old case and I even added brand new thermal paste on my cpu but I do not know what the problem is . I have a i58400 .

take out the heatsink, check the TIM spread and come back to us.....if it ain't spreading...it ain't touching.