Question CPU seems to be running hot

Jul 17, 2022
Hello all! Thank you for taking the time to read over this! I just upgraded my system yesterday from Prime day (Yay for MSRP GPU). Now I have gotten everything hooked up and now my CPU seems to be running hot when playing games (85 C - 92 C). It shouldn't necessarily be running this hot right? Also I want to find the best optimization for my System here. I have my HWInfo (Click Here) as well:

-Intel Core i9-11900K (New)
-MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C79) (New)
-Zotac RTX 3060 AMP Twin Edge OC LHR (New)
-Cooler: Kraken Z63 - 140mm x 2
-Case: H510 Elite Matte White
-Fans: AER RGB 2 Computer Fan - 120mm & AER RGB 2 Computer Fan - 140mm

I appreciate all and any help!

Thanks,

Richard

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
In fact, it should shut down at 75C to protect the system. I am surprised you got that far.
There is something called a 'die' in hardware architecture and measured in NM, both CPU & GPU have it.
When one is bigger than another, that piece then becomes the bottleneck. It comes apparent in intensive video games as USAGE goes up.
However, if you had a good cooler setup properly, you would never push that temp.
If you want to run a gaming PC, LIQUID cooling is a Must. Are you sure you used thermal paste when installing the heatsink and was it silver quality ?

Water coolers can fail, what you need to check is IF it goes that high instantly or slowly. Might be just failed pump and you need to RMA your cooler.
That cpu can suck whole peak of 295W so it's possible that your cooler just dont keep up.
First thing I would do would be to check if I feel the heat coming off the cooler. If radiator is hot and its doing something.

There is also a change you just have dried & crubled thermal paste on CPU, and when you installed new GPU that little nudges you did made dried paste crack and basically stop doing what it should do.
For safekeeping, change paste for something like mx4 or crionaut.
Here is a list:
https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-thermal-paste
take ANYTHING from top 30 that you can find cheap. DON'T take anything conductive, not worth the risk.

Maybe you need to rearrange your fans, how they are set up ?
(make sure cpu cooler dont suck hot gpu air if you can)