Question CPU speeds go down when in game. As soon as the game is not on focus the speed goes up.

Doutor

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Just like the title says, I was playing Battlefield 5 and even though I have a nice-ish gaming laptop, I can't play the game over 60 fps unsless I play with almost everything on the lowest settings.
My latop has a GTX 1070 (not the Max-Q version), a i7 6700HQ (kinda bad, I know) and 16GB RAM.
Back to my main concern. As I was playing BF5, on my second monitor, I had Task Manager opened just the check my CPU speeds. Normally the speeds should be around 3.2GHz, since theres a speed boost, but I noticed it was instead around 2.8/2.9GHz.
My first thought was over-heating, and as such the CPU speed would stay at 2.8GHz until it it got colder and the speeds would go up. But that doesn't happen. While the game's on focus, the speed stays at 2.8/2.9 GHz but as soon as I alt+tab or click off the game, while the temperatures are still high, the speed shoots back up to 3.2ghz.
I have both power mode set to high performance, as well as in the Nvidia control panel.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? It's driving me nuts trying to fix this.