CPU starting to overheat

ineedafriend

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
So i have had my PC built for about 4 years now and has always ran great. Recently though my CPU temps have gone through the roof. I used to idle at about 36 degrees c and now its gone up to 70 idle and on some games it gets to 100. I am using a AIO water cooler and it seems to be cycling the fluid just fine but i dont know if its cooling properly or if my cpu is going out. Any helpful thoughts would be super! Thanks.

Solution
Sorta. There's actually 3 things that can fail on an AIO, although only 2 are normally thought of. 1) fan failure. Common, it's a fan, it happens. 2) pump failure. Motor or diaphragm gives up the ghost. If the motor quits, it's a dead giveaway that it's dead, if the diaphragm goes bunk, the motor still runs but nothing moves. 3) most common in aged AIO's and most overlooked is fluid levels. The fluid evaporates over time, usually around 4-5 years depending on how hot the fluid gets during extended use. This puts very little fluid in the radiator (which is also the reservoir) so cooling efficiency hits rock bottom.

With high idle temps and high load temps, I'd be thinking it'd be #3, there's simply not enough fluid in the radiator to...

ineedafriend

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

well thats the thing i am crashing but i think its due to temp not cpu unless they both are failing at the same time right?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sorta. There's actually 3 things that can fail on an AIO, although only 2 are normally thought of. 1) fan failure. Common, it's a fan, it happens. 2) pump failure. Motor or diaphragm gives up the ghost. If the motor quits, it's a dead giveaway that it's dead, if the diaphragm goes bunk, the motor still runs but nothing moves. 3) most common in aged AIO's and most overlooked is fluid levels. The fluid evaporates over time, usually around 4-5 years depending on how hot the fluid gets during extended use. This puts very little fluid in the radiator (which is also the reservoir) so cooling efficiency hits rock bottom.

With high idle temps and high load temps, I'd be thinking it'd be #3, there's simply not enough fluid in the radiator to effectively cool the cpu, and as soon as you put a load on it with a game, it's heading into thermal shutdowns. The fluid should normally at idle be the same-ish as idle temps, low-mid 30's, but that's not happening, fluid temps are prolly closer to 50-60°C which lowers efficiency even more.

In a nutshell, it's old, worn out and needs replacing.

Solution