[SOLVED] CPU temp spikes from 45c to 65c up and down

ravikin

Commendable
May 29, 2018
I just newly built a PC with a ryzen 7 3700x CPU(using the stock cooler) and during games I noticed that my CPU is 20c hotter than my GPU like GPU is 50c while CPU is at 70c then when I went to check on my idle temp my GPU temp has an idle temp of 40c (room temp is 38c, I live in a hot country) and CPU temp just goes up and down 45c to 65c

Solution
These are the famous Ryzen spikes..... totally normal as you see the temp on the single core that is being boosted at any one time, this is what Ryzen does and irritates Intel users that are not familiar with how the Ryzen boosts very quickly to do a task and then back down. But if you live where it is warm the stock cooler while pretty good for a stock is way off what cooling can be achived with better aftermarket cooler like this as an example....

Noctua NH-D15

But you should always check that you case has enough clearence for these bigger and better coolers. You are always going to have ambient temp plus 10c as your idle temp, one way to control the spikes is to use "Balanced Power" setting in Windows but even more effective...
These are the famous Ryzen spikes..... totally normal as you see the temp on the single core that is being boosted at any one time, this is what Ryzen does and irritates Intel users that are not familiar with how the Ryzen boosts very quickly to do a task and then back down. But if you live where it is warm the stock cooler while pretty good for a stock is way off what cooling can be achived with better aftermarket cooler like this as an example....

Noctua NH-D15

But you should always check that you case has enough clearence for these bigger and better coolers. You are always going to have ambient temp plus 10c as your idle temp, one way to control the spikes is to use "Balanced Power" setting in Windows but even more effective is to set a new CPU core ratio in bios of 4.2 for example and turn off PBO (not much use anyway in my experience) and that will help big time, there is going to be a very small drop in performance in benchmarks but not noticeable in day to day gaming etc.

Your temps considering your room temp are absolutely fine though and nothing to worry about, but I would recommend a better cooler for long term peace of mind and a quieter PC as the fan won't have to work so hard.

Solution

ravikin

Commendable
May 29, 2018

Noctua NH-D15

But you should always check that you case has enough clearence for these bigger and better coolers. You are always going to have ambient temp plus 10c as your idle temp, one way to control the spikes is to use "Balanced Power" setting in Windows but even more effective is to set a new CPU core ratio in bios of 4.2 for example and turn off PBO (not much use anyway in my experience) and that will help big time, there is going to be a very small drop in performance in benchmarks but not noticeable in day to day gaming etc.

Your temps considering your room temp are absolutely fine though and nothing to worry about, but I would recommend a better cooler for long term peace of mind and a quieter PC as the fan won't have to work so hard.
Thanks for the answer! this is my first Ryzen CPU and was just worried why the GPU was cooler even during gaming.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf