Question CPU Temperature (AMD Ryzen 3900X)

Nov 30, 2020
Hi guys, how are you? This is my first post, so I apologize if I am not using the correct channel. I will try to be brief. I have a gaming machine, which I put together about 5 months ago. I didn't have any kind of problem, until a few weeks ago when the CPU started to show oscillating temperatures. I thought it might be the factory silicone paste, so I swapped it for an Arctic. The fact is, the problem remains. The craziest thing is that when I stress it playing games, for example, the temperature stabilizes. So, the problem only happens with the machine at rest and with all the processes closed. I attach a reference image (Image) where in the left half you can see how the temperatures behave while I play Doom Eternal (1080P, Ultra graphics) and in the right half how the CPU temperature destabilizes as soon as I close the game. This happens to me with every games. Anyone with ideas? Thanks a lot. Greetings. Specifications: AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 4.6GHZ, MSI X570-A PRO, 32GB (2X16) KINGSTON 3466 DDR4 HY FURY BLACK, GEFORCE RTX 2080 8GB EVGA SUPER XC 2, 4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 5400RPM 256MB.

Nov 30, 2020
Thank you very much for your answer, DMAN999. I downloaded Ryzen Master and the temperatures it shows me vary but much less (between 45 ° and 50 ° with the machine idle). That reassures me a bit. But even the sound that the processor makes with the machine idle is something that catches my attention (the sound increases and decreases without making more than a click to the desktop). I assume it would be normal, then, on Ryzen processors. I will continue investigating but thank you very much again for the answer. Greetings.

Reactions: DMAN999
Here is what you do. You go in your BIOS and set the fan curve to be quiet and stay quiet under the temperature of the CPU spikes.

Here my 3900X can spike up to 55C from a 33C idle temperature. I set up my fan curve to be very quiet under 60C. So even when the CPU spike the fan does not change speed. Only when I'm over 60C that it start going faster and when it's at 70C it's a very aggressive fan curve.

Pretty much everyone with a Ryzen CPU needs to do this or the fan rev up for nothing for a second and go down non stop by just opening your browser and it's annoying yes :)

Reactions: DMAN999
Jan 23, 2021
Here is what you do. You go in your BIOS and set the fan curve to be quiet and stay quiet under the temperature of the CPU spikes.

Here my 3900X can spike up to 55C from a 33C idle temperature. I set up my fan curve to be very quiet under 60C. So even when the CPU spike the fan does not change speed. Only when I'm over 60C that it start going faster and when it's at 70C it's a very aggressive fan curve.

Pretty much everyone with a Ryzen CPU needs to do this or the fan rev up for nothing for a second and go down non stop by just opening your browser and it's annoying yes :)

Absolutly! This fan curve is really well adjusted for how this CPU works.. with all these random spikes that dont even generate that much heat - a fan curve that just stays low & quiet until 60/65 is very good.