[SOLVED] CPU temperature issue.

Apr 4, 2020
Hi Guys,

Little under a year ago I got my first gaming PC with a i5-9400f (w/ stock cooler). Recently I was curious about temps and did a bit of research, it says that temps should be 30-40 degrees C for an idle CPU. When I was viewing my temps in HWmonitor and AfterBurner, I saw that when I first booted up my pc my temps would be in the low 40's. I did not think too much about an extra few degrees, but the issue was once I used my cpu to do anything(ie. chrome, gaming etc.) the temps would obviously go up to 50's and 60's, but after finishing gaming I would sit on the desktop viewing temps and they would never seem to go down below 50 degrees and they ranged from 50-65 degrees which I thought was an issue while being idle. (EDIT: Also, from when I launch the PC, CPU clock speed always seems to be 3.8-3.9+GHz. Base clock is 2.9)

Does anyone have an tips or information on why this is happening?

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
So I just finished a 3 hour gaming session and according to MSI afterburner my cpu temps were ranging from 75-82 with a one or two peaks of 85 and 88(both occurred only for a few seconds). But after I shutdown my game and browser. Temps were still staying mid 50's to mid 60's for the 5-10 minutes I was looking. Are all these temps fine? (EDIT: How do I change my CPU fan curve?)

You can change your CPU fan curve in your BIOS. Depending on what motherboard you have, you will have multiple options you can set it to. With most BIOS's you can choose from preset fan curves such as Balanced, Performance, Extreme, etc. I usually just use Performance and don't have any issues, but you can also set a custom CPU fan curve if you want...
Apr 4, 2020
Right after booting is not idle.
The cpu works quite a bit when booting the pc.

Also, those temps are perfectly fine.
If your'e worried that it stays too high, change your fan curve.

So I just finished a 3 hour gaming session and according to MSI afterburner my cpu temps were ranging from 75-82 with a one or two peaks of 85 and 88(both occurred only for a few seconds). But after I shutdown my game and browser. Temps were still staying mid 50's to mid 60's for the 5-10 minutes I was looking. Are all these temps fine? (EDIT: How do I change my CPU fan curve?)

Apr 29, 2020

You can change your CPU fan curve in your BIOS. Depending on what motherboard you have, you will have multiple options you can set it to. With most BIOS's you can choose from preset fan curves such as Balanced, Performance, Extreme, etc. I usually just use Performance and don't have any issues, but you can also set a custom CPU fan curve if you want full control.

And those temps are fine, I wouldn't stress too much about it unless you start hitting around 95°c or above during gaming/under load. Above that you may start getting crashes and forced reboots due to overheating if it stays at those temps for too long.

Solution
Apr 4, 2020
You can change your CPU fan curve in your BIOS. Depending on what motherboard you have, you will have multiple options you can set it to. With most BIOS's you can choose from preset fan curves such as Balanced, Performance, Extreme, etc. I usually just use Performance and don't have any issues, but you can also set a custom CPU fan curve if you want full control.

And those temps are fine, I wouldn't stress too much about it unless you start hitting around 95°c or above during gaming/under load. Above that you may start getting crashes and forced reboots due to overheating if it stays at those temps for too long.
Ah thanks for the advice, I did turn off turbo boost in my BIOS which made temps an average of 59 degrees while gaming, but of course clock speed dropped from 3.9ghz to 2.9 which affects performance

Apr 29, 2020
Ah thanks for the advice, I did turn off turbo boost in my BIOS which made temps an average of 59 degrees while gaming, but of course clock speed dropped from 3.9ghz to 2.9 which affects performance

Oh yeah I honestly have never used the Turbo functions, so I can't give you much advice there. 59 is fantastic. You could definitely give your CPU a healthy overclock and still be well below dangerous temperatures.

I'm also not too experienced with manually overclocking so I can't offer much help there either.. but I'm sure if you posted a question in the CPU section of the forums here someone would definitely be able to point you in the right direction if you want to get your clock speeds up.

I will add, if you are interested and have the money/space in your case you could look into an AIO liquid cooler, they are super easy to set up and I personally have had great luck with mine. I run an I9-9900k OC'd to 5Ghz and rarely hit over 75C on the most demanding games. With a regular air cooler I was struggling to keep it under 85. But it seems to vary, some people say AIO's make a big difference, and some people say you can get great cooling with a good air cooler. Just something to think about and play around with if you are interested. For reference, I use the Corsair H100i Pro AIO and it runs about $140, so they aren't huge investments or anything.

Best of luck!

Apr 4, 2020
Oh yeah I honestly have never used the Turbo functions, so I can't give you much advice there. 59 is fantastic. You could definitely give your CPU a healthy overclock and still be well below dangerous temperatures.

I'm also not too experienced with manually overclocking so I can't offer much help there either.. but I'm sure if you posted a question in the CPU section of the forums here someone would definitely be able to point you in the right direction if you want to get your clock speeds up.

I will add, if you are interested and have the money/space in your case you could look into an AIO liquid cooler, they are super easy to set up and I personally have had great luck with mine. I run an I9-9900k OC'd to 5Ghz and rarely hit over 75C on the most demanding games. With a regular air cooler I was struggling to keep it under 85. But it seems to vary, some people say AIO's make a big difference, and some people say you can get great cooling with a good air cooler. Just something to think about and play around with if you are interested. For reference, I use the Corsair H100i Pro AIO and it runs about $140, so they aren't huge investments or anything.

Best of luck!
Alright man, thanks!