ryxas248

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Hello, I recently set up my first PC, and while I was benchmarking a game (Final Fantasy XV), the CPU temperatures max temp was 88 degrees Celsius. The CPU I use is a Ryzen 5 3600 and the CPU cooler I'm using is a Wraith Stealth. At first I thought it was a fan installation issue, but when I reinstalled it (Paste included), the temps are still the same. Now, I had someone come over and managed to get the temperatures at 30 when in bios and around 40 in Windows, but when they left, I set the system up in my room and now the temperature lies at around 75-85 degrees when just using firefox. It's just the CPU though, the motherboard temperature is fine at around 44 degrees max and the GPU is around 36 degrees max. Does anyone have any thoughts? Should I purchase a new CPU fan? Love to know any ideas, thank you!

Solution
So even after realizing that the manufacturer had my rear fan the wrong way round, after making sure airflow is correct, my CPU temp is still at around 65-75C when downloading games and still around 70-80C when playing a game. The CPU fan speed for my Arctic Freezer Xtreme is on 100%, so I don't think it's that. What could I be missing?
An improper thermal paste application, insufficient contact pressure from the HSF to the CPU, or a bad temperature reading -- try a couple of other temp programs, like Core Temp.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, you should definitely upgrade your HSF -- the Wraith Stealth is a very low end cooler. What you get depends on your budget and how large of a HSF your case will fit. Also, how warm is your room? Ambient temperature makes a difference.

For suggested models please provide that information. Thanks.

ryxas248

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Yes, you should definitely upgrade your HSF -- the Wraith Stealth is a very low end cooler. What you get depends on your budget and how large of a HSF your case will fit. Also, how warm is your room? Ambient temperature makes a difference.

For suggested models please provide that information. Thanks.

I just bought an Arctic Freezer Xtreme, as it was compatible with my motherboard (B450 Tomahawk Max), I installed it, and the temps when using an internet browser is between 45C and 60C. Haven't tried a game yet, since a bit worried about this new fan. But I think maybe the CPU fan was probably the issue, being the Wraith Stealth not being that good a fan, so you may be right. I'll update you later on if I try a game or a benchmark and see what happens!

ryxas248

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
So even after realizing that the manufacturer had my rear fan the wrong way round, after making sure airflow is correct, my CPU temp is still at around 65-75C when downloading games and still around 70-80C when playing a game. The CPU fan speed for my Arctic Freezer Xtreme is on 100%, so I don't think it's that. What could I be missing?

RealBeast

Titan
An improper thermal paste application, insufficient contact pressure from the HSF to the CPU, or a bad temperature reading -- try a couple of other temp programs, like Core Temp.

Solution