Feb 18, 2020
I'm trying to finish up my first build, but I am running into an issue with my power supply and my CPU. I have done both basic troubleshooting (connecting individual components to the PSU and powering on/off) and more detailed troubleshooting (taking everything apart and checking if CPU was busted, mobo was bridging somewhere) and I can't seem to find why every time I connect my CPU power the PSU just trips and shuts off. Like I said, this is my first build so I may just be missing something crucial that I am unaware of. For reference my CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 3700, the mobo is an MSI x570 Gaming Plus, and the PSU is a Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold. I'm also assuming that the CPU power cable for the Seasonic is the one that ends in the two 4-pin connectors. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Which Seasonic exactly? The FOCUS GX Plus Gold?

For your motherboard you need to plug in the 24pin ATX and 8pin CPU. The 4 pin CPU next tot he 8 pin is optional to my understanding however if your PSU has a cable for it I would use it.

Use the cables labeled CPU with the corresponding ports on the PSU. Page 25 of your mobo manual show where these ports are.

Feb 18, 2020
Thanks for your replies. Yeah, the case I got has the spacers built in so all I had to do was put the mobo in and secure it. I’ve actually taken it off and re-adjusted it (but I haven’t checked it on cardboard).

The PSU is the Focus series from Seasonic, and the 24-pin works fine. The CPU cooler fan turns on (I’m using the stock Ryzen cooler for the 3700), and so do the other fans. But I didn’t see a cable strictly labeled CPU, but rather N. It was one cable that split into two 4-pin heads, which I connected to where the mobo manual said the CPU power should go.

Feb 18, 2020
UPDATE 02/18: I got a second PSU and have run the same troubleshooting procedures. Taking the whole motherboard out of the case and putting it on cardboard. 24-pin connection still works well, but the 8-pin CPU trips the new PSU as well. Looked at the back of the motherboard and nothing looks bent, melted, or burnt. Could it just be a faulty CPU power port?

Feb 18, 2020
You are plugging the 8pin in while it is off, right? Could just be a motherboard defect
Yes, somebody asked me this too. I guess I should word things better. Yeah, I turn the power off every time I remove/connect a cable. Sadly I’m also thinking it’s a motherboard defect, because after taking out the board from the case and inspecting it on cardboard I get the same results, and I see no pins that seem broken, twisted, or singed on the back.

Feb 18, 2020
Update 02/20/20: The cause of all of this was the motherboard. I got a replacement mobo sent to me by MSI and it turns out that the old motherboard had an 8-pin CPU connector was faulty. New motherboard is working just fine. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to this thread!