Question Cpu upgrade help for gaming

jhon94

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2014
Hi, I'm wanting to play next gen titles like hogwarts legacy, can I upgrade my CPU and would I need any other upgrades to accommodate this, sorry im new to all the PC building and would really appreciate the help, here are my specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K

Motherboard: MSI MPG z390 Gaming Plus

RAM: 16GB

GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

Case: EG Diamond

Im not 100% certain on power supply and fans but i think they are: CV650 power supply and the cooling is cooler master hyper 212 rgb

What resolution and settings are you typically playing at?

What country are you in?

What is your budget for any upgrades? That's a pretty low quality power supply and may even be contributing to poor performance with your existing hardware but seriously ought to be replaced with something better even if it currently isn't, or even if you didn't upgrade at all. Really poor quality and performance for a Corsair product.

There really isn't a current need to up your CPU. In gaming the 9600k (6c/6t) was typically slightly faster than the 8700/k (6c/12t) when it came out. That said if you want to change the CPU your only recourse would be an i7 or i9 in the 9th Gen. Either will need a better CPU cooler, think like a Noctua DH-15 or 280mm AIO (if they fit in your case). I agree with darkbreeze in that you need a new PSU. The CV650 is the only "decent" one in the CV line but it is still a low quality PSU.