Question CPU upgrade vs PSU

rezog12

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
I upgraded my emachines CPU from original dirt to a somewhat higher capacity AMD Athlon(tm) II P360 (I'm sorry for even wasting your attention on it). Now I'm looking into upgrading the CPU to Phenom II N870 Triple-Core, which is said to be compatible according to https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/, where I have checked vigorously for specs like, among others, power consumption.

Now the one that I'd like to upgrade to, Phenom II N870 uses 35W an the current AMD Athlon(tm) II P360 only uses 25W power, already stressing the emachines original PSU to the point that it went through one repair a year ago.

My Q: If I go ahead with stronger/more energy hungry Phenom, would I need to upgrade my power adapter and would I be fine with sourcing an (probably closest one) Acer PSU, anything good for 35W CPU? I'm not sure about frequencies and other PSU specs. Which is why I'm posting here basically... also I've had some warning beeps previously when watching relatively high res video and using a laptop cooling pad, both of which I imagine had stressed the PSU.