Question CPU usage goes 100% while watching 8k vids on youtube

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
Hi,
I've had this cpu 11600kf for a while but I recently tried to watch some 8k vids and they are unwatchable. As soon as I switch to 8k the video starts to stutter and cpu usage goes to 100%. I find it pretty weird given I was able to watch 8k vids with my old 7700k.
I tried this on chrome and brave and the result is the same. What might be causing this issue ?

Hi,
I've had this cpu 11600kf for a while but I recently tried to watch some 8k vids and they are unwatchable. As soon as I switch to 8k the video starts to stutter and cpu usage goes to 100%. I find it pretty weird given I was able to watch 8k vids with my old 7700k.
I tried this on chrome and brave and the result is the same. What might be causing this issue ?
Did you try turning on or off hardware acceleration ?

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
both system using the same gpu?
Yes, 2060

What sort of system resource usage do you see when you're idling, at OS GUI?
When I'm idling, nothing stands out. Less than 1% cpu usage. When I'm watching 4k vids I don't see anything more than 10% cpu usage.
Did you try turning on or off hardware acceleration ?
I haven't tried it. I will and report back.
edit : HA was turned on both chrome and brave. Turning it off made things worse. Even @ 4k I started seeing 50%+ cpu usage.
When it is turned on, while watching vids on 4k I see brave using 10% cpu max on task manager.

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
on windows 11?
where are these 8k video from? could be the gpu don't have decoder for it. or that it was using the intel igpu with your 7700k. which the 11600kf don't have.

I'm on windows 10.
These 8k's are on youtube. How can I make sure if the gpu has a decoder or not? I thought about igpu tbh, but still couldn't figure out why my 2060 and 11600k together wouldn't be able to handle something 7700k alone can. Is there a setting about this on nvidia control panel?