Question CPU usage high compared to GPU usage, while gaming ?

Ajhellout

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
I built a new pc 3 months ago and I've noticed this issue where My CPU is always over 80% usage while my Graphic card averages on 50% usage. First time I noticed when I was playing Far Cry 6...where it gives more than 80fps on high settings for like 10-15 min ( at this time CPU less than 50% Usage and GPU 90% Usage) ... And like I said after sometime... These usage value interchanges... And drops the fps to between 40fps - 55fps. At first thought maybe FC 6 isn't a optimized game. Then tried it on Dying Light 2. Same story.. I tried Nvidia control panel high performance settings. Didn't work. Tried Graphic Setting Hardware Acceleration too.. Didn't work. As far as Task Manager is concerned I don't see any app using CPU Or GPU in the background. Please help...

My Rig:
Asrock B450 hdv r4. 0 Mobo
Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 2060 12gb
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb
Kingston NVMe SSD 500GB
WD Blue 1tb HDD

Ajhellout

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
What sort of temps are you seeing for both GPU and CPU while gaming? Also, what is the make/model/age of your PSU?
at the start CPU temp stays on an average of 60-70 degrees, however later when usage reaches 80% or more temps rockets to more than 80 degrees. and reverse for GPU. I have a "GIGABYTE GP-P550B 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply".... bought around same time.

Ajhellout

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
Firstly, unfortunately that power supply is not great ( Gigabyte P550B Power Supply Review | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com) ) and I would look into getting a replacement. Are you using the stock cooler for the 3600? And could you please run Home - UserBenchmark and post a link to your results, just to see if anything stands out.
I really don't think PSU is a issue here. Because the sudden spike in CPU Usage and Low GPU Usage, gives me weird vibes. Like here for instance like... lets say m playing a game like Mafia Definitive Edition - all good all smooth, and all of a sudden CPU usage shoots to 80 - 90% with temp staying at 60 - 70 degrees. now recently what i have noticed is... when I minimize the game while its running and start the task manager to see what's happening while its running. the task manager shows normal CPU usage and then I maximize game and like magic CPU drops to normal. and stay that way for a interval before giving the same issue. doesn't that sound weird?

and just to answer your question , yes I did run a user benchmark test, all good in there.

I am not running a stock cooler, have a cooler master hyper 212 evo v2.

The 2 things that stand out are obviously high background cpu usage and that you need to enable xmp in BIOS as your RAM is only running at 2133mhz. Were you running anything else in the background when you ran userbenchmark? If not, i'd give it a scan with malwarebytes just to make sure there are no nasties in there.

Ajhellout

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
The 2 things that stand out are obviously high background cpu usage and that you need to enable xmp in BIOS as your RAM is only running at 2133mhz. Were you running anything else in the background when you ran userbenchmark? If not, i'd give it a scan with malwarebytes just to make sure there are no nasties in there.
there is high probability that its a malware issue. Here's why?

Now i don't consider this a solution but yesterday I was just fiddling around with my PC settings to find out the problem. Out of nowhere, I thought ill keep the task manager running in the BG while I play the game and guess what?

I played game hours and hours and performance was great Butter smooth FPS, CPU Usage never exceeded over 50%, GPU usage was always over 90%, CPU temps never exceeded 60 degrees. I played 3 games for hours: Far Cry 6, Mafia 1 Definitive edition and Cyberpunk 2077. No issues at all while Task manager was running in the BG.

So for once I closed task manager and ran the game and guess what? after like 15-20min ... CPU Usage high and GPU usage comes down and low fps.

so brother now I am damn sure that its some kind of Malware which hides itself the moment I open task manager and if I keep my Task manager open its doesn't show itself.

If you want to try this, open up PowerShell as an administrator and run the following command: Get-Process -FileVersionInfo

This will list all programs running and where they're located. Also I don't think malware can actually hide from the process table, it can at best know when Task Manager is running and stop doing things so it doesn't show up using CPU time.

Ajhellout

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
If you want to try this, open up PowerShell as an administrator and run the following command: Get-Process -FileVersionInfo

This will list all programs running and where they're located. Also I don't think malware can actually hide from the process table, it can at best know when Task Manager is running and stop doing things so it doesn't show up using CPU time.
Maybe you are right, I will try this once I reach home. Thank you.