Question Cpu VCore can be increased, but not decreased

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
I will get straight to it.. I want to undervolt my cpu because its running a little too hot(90C+).
The problem is that I have the option to overvolt it but not to undervolt it.
Plus sign on keyboard is used to overvolt, minus sign takes me an option back, but it doesnt decrease the voltage.
My specs:
Cpu: Amd Athlon x4 840
MB: F2A68HM-S1
GPU: Amd Radeon r7 250
Ram: 8GB DDR3 2133 OC
(My bios is up to date!)

I will get straight to it.. I want to undervolt my cpu because its running a little too hot(90C+).
The problem is that I have the option to overvolt it but not to undervolt it.
Plus sign on keyboard is used to overvolt, minus sign takes me an option back, but it doesnt decrease the voltage.
My specs:
Cpu: Amd Athlon x4 840
MB: F2A68HM-S1
GPU: Amd Radeon r7 250
Ram: 8GB DDR3 2133 OC
(My bios is up to date!)

The Athlon x4 840 is a 65w cpu...it should never get to 90c.

I would recommend you verify the heatsink fan is working and is not full of dust. If the heatsink and fan are clean and the fan works then I would remove the CPU heatsink, clean it and the cpu with rubbing alcohol where they make contact. After cleaning the old thermal paste off completely apply a very thin layer of new thermal paste before reattaching the heatsink.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
The Athlon x4 840 is a 65w cpu...it should never get to 90c.

I would recommend you verify the heatsink fan is working and is not full of dust. If the heatsink and fan are clean and the fan works then I would remove the CPU heatsink, clean it and the cpu with rubbing alcohol where they make contact. After cleaning the old thermal paste off completely apply a very thin layer of new thermal paste before reattaching the heatsink.

I did everything you said.. I want to undervolt it just because its temp is high. I am using HWmonitor.