Question CPU won't turn on

mattman3500

Prominent
May 16, 2018
So, I've been having this issue for quite some time. When I hit the power button on my PC, the CPU just doesn't turn on. The light doesn't come on on the fan, and the computer doesn't come on either. I used to be able to fix this for a while by reseating the RAM stick, reseating the GPU, and/or reseating the battery in the bottom part of the Motherboard. For a while, this worked, and I could get the computer to turn back on. Unfortunately now, it isn't working, and the lights won't turn on. I will note that usually, the lights on the motherboard and the lights on the ram sticks turn on, and I hear the whirring that means the rest of the PC is awake. The only things not turning on are the CPU and it's fan. I even tried pulling cords out of the PSU and plugging them back in, but that didn't seem to fix it either. I've tried almost everything I can think of, but the CPU still doesn't seem to turn on. I can't tell if this is an issue with the CPU or the PSU, but it feels like one or the other. Can someone please help me?

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive & Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080TI VENTUS GP
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

So, I've been having this issue for quite some time. When I hit the power button on my PC, the CPU just doesn't turn on. The light doesn't come on on the fan, and the computer doesn't come on either. I used to be able to fix this for a while by reseating the RAM stick, reseating the GPU, and/or reseating the battery in the bottom part of the Motherboard. For a while, this worked, and I could get the computer to turn back on. Unfortunately now, it isn't working, and the lights won't turn on. I will note that usually, the lights on the motherboard and the lights on the ram sticks turn on, and I hear the whirring that means the rest of the PC is awake. The only things not turning on are the CPU and it's fan. I even tried pulling cords out of the PSU and plugging them back in, but that didn't seem to fix it either. I've tried almost everything I can think of, but the CPU still doesn't seem to turn on. I can't tell if this is an issue with the CPU or the PSU, but it feels like one or the other. Can someone please help me?

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive & Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080TI VENTUS GP
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Can you get another power supply to try?

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Reset cmos battery (try also a new one), try only one ram stick at a time, inspect cpu pins, try with onboard graphics,borrow and try another psu .
Try to start with only minimum connected:
Psu, 1 ram, cpu...

mattman3500

Prominent
May 16, 2018
I've tried resetting the CMOS battery, and tried using a new one. Neither worked. The PC is on now, not sure what changed to allow it to come on. The new CMOS battery isn't in there, since it didn't seem to be the issue, but I may just switch the battery anyway.

I don't just have an extra PSU lying around, and don't have access to another one. I would try some of the other methods, but I'm sure if I turn this thing off and start fiddling with it, it won't turn on again. And then I'll just be back at square 1.