[SOLVED] Cpu-z shows that the memory frequency and the SPD frequency are different?

Jul 5, 2020
As said in the title, the frequency is the tabs are different. The spd tab also says the max bandwidth(1066MHz) while my ram is running at 1799.6MHz?
I am using the msi cpu-z version as I am using the msi x570 pro motherboard and the normal version doesn't work correctly.
I am using Corsair Vengeance lpx 3600MHz 4x8Gb ram.
The motherboard is on the latest non-beta version.
The xmp profile is turned on.

Is the ram working correctly or is there a bug in the msi cpu-z version?

Memory tab image
SPD tab image

Thank you.

Solution
As said in the title, the frequency is the tabs are different. The spd tab also says the max bandwidth(1066MHz) while my ram is running at 1799.6MHz?
I am using the msi cpu-z version as I am using the msi x570 pro motherboard and the normal version doesn't work correctly.

Memory tab image
SPD tab image

Thank you.
Your memory is running at 3600MHz (2 x 1799.6) as shown, there are many slower approved JEDEC profiles but those are all meaningless to you.

RealBeast

Titan

Memory tab image
SPD tab image

Thank you.
Your memory is running at 3600MHz (2 x 1799.6) as shown, there are many slower approved JEDEC profiles but those are all meaningless to you.

Reactions: VeevsVire
Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Memory tab image
SPD tab image

Thank you.
To try to make that a bit easier to understand look at your first pick where it say Channel# DUAL (that says that your running in dual channel) below that where it says frequency 1799.6 you would double that speed for the dual channel and that is the 3600 your memory is running.

To try to make that a bit easier to understand look at your first pick where it say Channel# DUAL (that says that your running in dual channel) below that where it says frequency 1799.6 you would double that speed for the dual channel and that is the 3600 your memory is running.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but actually, running RAM in Dual Channel has nothing to do with why you multiply the RAM base frequency by 2.

DDR stands for Double Data Rate. DDR RAM can handle two sets of data per cycle.

This is the reason why you multiply the RAM “base frequency” (or real clock) by two, to calculate the “effective frequency” (or effective clock)

No matter if you run DDR RAM in Single- or Dual Channel, you still multiply the base frequency (~1800MHz in this case) by two, to calculate the effective clock (3600MHz)

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe I misunderstood your post, but actually, running RAM in Dual Channel has nothing to do with why you multiply the RAM base frequency by 2.

DDR stands for Double Data Rate. DDR RAM can handle two sets of data per cycle.

This is the reason why you multiply the RAM “base frequency” (or real clock) by two, to calculate the “effective frequency” (or effective clock)

No matter if you run DDR RAM in Single- or Dual Channel, you still multiply the base frequency (~1800MHz in this case) by two, to calculate the effective clock (3600MHz)
You would still X it but it would say single channel at the top just using a single stick of memory not dual was just trying to make it easier for him to understand. Meaning both sticks are detected and running as it should.

michial

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Not sure if related but I got a brand new Omen 30l with 16gb(2 sticks of 8) of hyperx 3200 ram. AMD Ryzen 3700x with Moria3 motherboard. Task Mgr showed it was 3200mhz. I replaced with 32
Gb(2x16) of 3200 Corsair ram. Yet task mgr shows it only running at 2133. The spd/Jedec is apparently 2133 per the Corsair site. I assumed it would be 3200 like the hyperx. Can or should I adjust this Corsair ram up to 3200 like the hyperx? Is AMD so no XMP right?

Not sure if related but I got a brand new Omen 30l with 16gb(2 sticks of 8) of hyperx 3200 ram. AMD Ryzen 3700x with Moria3 motherboard. Task Mgr showed it was 3200mhz. I replaced with 32
Gb(2x16) of 3200 Corsair ram. Yet task mgr shows it only running at 2133. The spd/Jedec is apparently 2133 per the Corsair site. I assumed it would be 3200 like the hyperx. Can or should I adjust this Corsair ram up to 3200 like the hyperx? Is AMD so no XMP right?
XMP works with AMD too although on some MB makes could be called differently, Asus calls it DOCP, some others A-XMP etc.
XMP is just an instruction to BIOS how to set it up for best performance.

Reactions: michial

michial

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
XMP works with AMD too although on some MB makes could be called differently, Asus calls it DOCP, some others A-XMP etc.
XMP is just an instruction to BIOS how to set it up for best performance.
Yeah, I’m not sure what the Moria3 mobo calls it. When adjusting it to 3200 do I also have to adjust latency or just the MHz? Thanks.