cpu-z wrong or Mobo underclocking the CPU?

d3f1

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
So i finally got my 8800gt last night and i spent a couple of hours putting my new system together. Thankfully everything worked first time(yay!).

So i ran cpu-z to see how my first c2d was running and below it gave the following readings:

cpu.jpg

Also my RAM seems to be at 5-5-5-18 according to cpu-z.

this is my first build with DDR ram and also a c2d processor. Im using the ga-p35-ds3r MOBO. I havnt changed any BIOS settings as of yet, just got windows on there and put in the gigabyte CD and the EVGA cd, thats it.

Any ideas?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Errr... It's Speed Step. When your system is at idle (doing nothing), it reduces the multiplier (usually x6). I'm guessing your default is 8. So 333x8=2664mhz or 2.66ghz. If you put your system under a load, it should jump back to stock speeds.

Jaffey8984

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I have a similar issue with my AM2 Black edition 5000+. When i first installed it i was able to set the multiplier real easy in my bios, and CPUZ recognized it and all was happy.
Last week I gotta little greedy and got a new HSF (was only using stock HSF and system was running @45-50 C)
I installed it last night, now everything is perfect except....
BIOS and Windows say that my Chip is running at a 15.5x, but CPUZ (and everest Home edition) report it at 13X.
I don't get it at all...
Specs:
MSI K9A running 1.7 AMI Bios (which is latest)
AM2 5000* Black Edition
3GB Dual Channel Ram all Crucial Ballistix
(1) Diamond HD2900XT512PCIE

The only thing i can think of is that when i went into the BIOS after i installed the new HSF and saw how much the temp dropped (i run at 28C-35C now), i went to play with the multiplier's again, I accdentally hit pgup and it set the mult to Auto, which changed the CPU ID to "5000 MHZ @B_u_ " or something funky like that... so i went back down and changed it to 15x
but the CPU ID stayed the same even though it reflected the right multiplier and Frequency.
Maybe I should take the CPU out and reseat.... or rather clear the BIOS first and see if that fixes it.
I just don't get why CPUZ and everst would report diffrent readings than Windows XP and the System BIOS...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

AMD uses Cool-n-quiet. Which basically does the same thing. Although, setting it up is different then speed step, that I'm more familiar with. Not sure what to advice for the 5000+.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Never heard of speed step? Dont you people read your manuals?? I mean you have to post a question on THG because your too lazy to read your manual. :pfff:

Geesh... don't ya have something better ta do then flame? :pfff: . o O (After that other thread you said I flamed out of boredom, why don't you practice what you preach)

nmathew

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
If your system is stable, just leave speedstep enabled. There are instances where turning it off helps overclocking, but if you're stable, keep it on.

It is common for high performance RAM to "default" to slower than advertised timings. If you look, that RAM is rated to run on as much as 2.2 volts. Well, DDR2 stock voltage is 1.8V. It is highly likely that your RAM would be unstable at 4-4-4-12 at 1.8V. As a precaution to make sure that a system can boot, the RAM's SPD (default timings) are set looser to ensure stability.

If you want the faster timings, you'll need to manually set the timings in the BIOS, and you'll probably need to set the voltage higher than stock. Try 2.0V and do some memory tests. If it's stable, you can try lowering the voltage, if unstable, raise it.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Never heard of speed step? Dont you people read your manuals?? I mean you have to post a question on THG because your too lazy to read your manual. :pfff:
At it again I see.
Of course not, haven't you read any of her posts?

Ouch, the thread wasn't even that long ago. In case anyone was too lazy to look here is the offending post dated 10-22-2007. Holy crap that was 17 days ago. Me thinks that people in glass houses should not throw stones, aye?

If I could figure out how to attach my screenshot to this post I would show you what I mean. I dont know what speed step is. Is it a bios setting?

Im running totally stable at 3.26ghz and 1.25v. CPU-z shows incorrect multiplier and says Im running at 2.8ghz.

There is access to the manual at the top of each thread, just click on the word "Help". Why don't you RTFM? Here is a quick link to help you with your particular problem. 3.3 Adding images

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Glad we could help D3F1.

Well.. I don't read everything (that she or if its a she, posts), but I had a pretty good idea, and the reason why I brought it up:

cpus cant work after 2 weeks leave it

Grimmy, how many languages can you write in?? Nuff said.
He's asking for help, not to be flamed by someone who's bored with nothing else to do.

I admit it kinda sound bad, but I meant it sincerely. I mean, if I can't understand the poster directly, how are they going to understand the reply?

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
No, its the MSI Dual Core Center feature. It overclocks itself at any software needed when the temperature permits it to run faster. Thats the reason why it happened when you replace the HSF.

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
jesus, MrsBytch is a real b1tch. are you permanently PMSing? all you do is flame people. i'm surprised you're not banned.

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
btw, about the RAM, it appears you need to give the RAM 2.2v to run at 4-4-4-12 at 800MHz. make sure you've got the voltage set, and then set the timings manually. most memory defaults to a safe speed that is guaranteed to work on installation.

datmantran

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Ummm...errr...no, You dont remember correct and you cant read correct either apparently. I never asked what speedstep was, I just didnt know thats what caused the 6x.
I simply stated that cpu-z showed the incorrect multiplier for my cpu and someone said speed step caused that. I never said I didnt know what speedstep or cool-n-quiet did, I just wasnt sure if I had speedstep or cool-n-quiet. Please get your information right if your gonna call someone out.
Im wasnt flaming this guy either kids, I simply stated that the question he's asking is right there in his mobo manual if he just bothered to read it.

Hmmm... now if I read your previous quoter correctly... ummm... here is goes:

If I could figure out how to attach my screenshot to this post I would show you what I mean. I dont know what speed step is. Is it a bios setting?

Im running totally stable at 3.26ghz and 1.25v. CPU-z shows incorrect multiplier and says Im running at 2.8ghz.

Now, if I read that correctly you said, "I dont know what speed step is." (And you don't know how to punctuate either, but that's beside the point)

From what you said, I think he got his information right. Either that, or you can't remember what you've said/wrote.

Well, actually if you REALLY want to nitpick, you never actually said that you didn't know what speedstep DID... you just said you didn't even know what speedstep WAS... But I guess being someone of YOUR intellect, you would've already known what speedstep DID before actually knowing what speedstep WAS...

And if you had bothered to read YOUR manual, then you wouldn't have made your original post asking almost the same question that d3f1 asked. So before you "offer" anyone advice, give it to yourself first (and I could mean that in OH so many ways)...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Ummm...errr...no, You dont remember correct and you cant read correct either apparently. I never asked what speedstep was, I just didnt know thats what caused the 6x.
I simply stated that cpu-z showed the incorrect multiplier for my cpu and someone said speed step caused that. I never said I didnt know what speedstep or cool-n-quiet did, I just wasnt sure if I had speedstep or cool-n-quiet. Please get your information right if your gonna call someone out.
Im wasnt flaming this guy either kids, I simply stated that the question he's asking is right there in his mobo manual if he just bothered to read it.

Err.... Sounds to me, you didn't read the manual, not to mention posting pictures:

Oh its the power saving feature right. Yes your correct it jumps to 7. I wasnt aware I could lower it, that neat. Now can you tell me how to attach a screenshot to this post?

Edit:

:lol:. o O (you didn't have to be so harsh calling her a liar, bytch would have just done fine)

I simply stated that cpu-z showed the incorrect multiplier for my cpu and someone said speed step caused that. I never said I didnt know what speedstep or cool-n-quiet did, I just wasnt sure if I had speedstep or cool-n-quiet.

LIAR

And I quote:

And yes i know how to "read correctly". I did pass 5th grade :)

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006

Me as well. I feel the same way about DragonSprayer as well. I mean, WTF?

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
C'mon guys, what about the OP?
CPU-Z always does that on my rig, it shows the SpeedStepped speed even when it's disabled, ie. many other tools or even a quick right-click Windows System Properties will clearly show the full CPU speed.
I figured other people besides me would be getting this, but haven't heard much.
I asked a couple of times, here & there but nobody seemed to know what I was talking about...
Anyway d3f1 it seems we can call this a 'known issue' now, heheh... so thanks, I was beginning to worry :)
Re: SpeedStep
I run it in the very hot months because, I kid you not, it's hot! Also the electrical grid is having convulsions and they are begging you to cut power, and it's a hot time for my rig in June/July.
Other than that you don't really need it, but your rig will run cooler/quieter if it throttles down automatically when idle, which only makes sense.
Note that you can quickly enable/disable SpeedStep from within Windows, go to Power Management and select 'Always On' to disable.
So how's the new rig d3f1?
Regards

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
His question was answered.
CPU-Z is showing you the correct "real time" multiplier. My guess is that you think you have turned off EIST but have not actually turned it off. What mobo do you have?

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Good god she got wtfpwned in this thread...

Anywho, is the speed step thing specifically a Core 2 Quad utility or any Core 2 based processor?