Jun 7, 2019
His y'all I'm crashing while gaming. Some say it's my psu most likely.

Thing is, I only crash when I have my gpu (R9 390) connected to my Asus mg279q either via mini DP-DP port or HDMI. It crashes on HDMI as well you see, but when I hook my PC to my television via HDMI and game, it runs like a champ. What gives?

I'm thinking it's my GPU and the Asus monitor not liking each other - why would it work and not crash on the TV then?

PSU? Again, why would it work on TV?

I've DDU Uninstalled drivers and re-updated them. Nothing.

I don't want to fork out for a new psu and find out it's something else.

I most certainly don't want to fork out for a new gpu and find out it's something else.

And I don't want to fork out for a new monitor to find out it's something else.

Hope anyone can enlighten me.

Before we can come to any conclusion, first of all, kindly provide full PC specs..

Anyways, kindly provide PC specs.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

His y'all I'm crashing while gaming. Some say it's my psu most likely.

Thing is, I only crash when I have my gpu (R9 390) connected to my Asus mg279q either via mini DP-DP port or HDMI. It crashes on HDMI as well you see, but when I hook my PC to my television via HDMI and game, it runs like a champ. What gives?

I'm thinking it's my GPU and the Asus monitor not liking each other - why would it work and not crash on the TV then?

PSU? Again, why would it work on TV?

I've DDU Uninstalled drivers and re-updated them. Nothing.

I don't want to fork out for a new psu and find out it's something else.

I most certainly don't want to fork out for a new gpu and find out it's something else.

And I don't want to fork out for a new monitor to find out it's something else.

Hope anyone can enlighten me.
I think the GPU is trying to pump as many FPS as it can on your monitor as it is 1440p (WQHD) and your TV, I'll assume, is 1080p (FHD) so it's either getting too hot to operate or not getting enough power to keep up. Check in the AMD drivers if you have "Frame Rate Control" active and just set it to 60 and see if it happens again.

Cheers!

Jun 7, 2019
I think the GPU is trying to pump as many FPS as it can on your monitor as it is 1440p (WQHD) and your TV, I'll assume, is 1080p (FHD) so it's either getting too hot to operate or not getting enough power to keep up. Check in the AMD drivers if you have "Frame Rate Control" active and just set it to 60 and see if it happens again.

Cheers!

I've tried 60 fps in radeon settings over DP cable as well. It crashes.
It happens over HDMI also, which is capped at 60 fps automatically.

No, when you use HDMI or DP the FPS'es are never capped. Having a TV or Monitor do 60Hz does not imply the GPU will pump 60FPS in games. There's a reason why there's V-Sync, Frame Rate Control and other techniques, such as FreeSync and G-Sync to combat that.

So, that being said, putting a hard cap on the amount of FPS'es the card pumps out at any given time, will have the side effect of the card not using as much power as it won't be pushing itself to the max. Furmark and OCCT don't push the card the same way games do, plus I wouldn't be surprised AMD and nVidia have introduced "hard caps" for power consumption when you run those programs.

What I'm trying to achieve here is simple, really: making sure it's not a power issue.

Cheers!

Jun 7, 2019
No, when you use HDMI or DP the FPS'es are never capped. Having a TV or Monitor do 60Hz does not imply the GPU will pump 60FPS in games. There's a reason why there's V-Sync, Frame Rate Control and other techniques, such as FreeSync and G-Sync to combat that.

So, that being said, putting a hard cap on the amount of FPS'es the card pumps out at any given time, will have the side effect of the card not using as much power as it won't be pushing itself to the max. Furmark and OCCT don't push the card the same way games do, plus I wouldn't be surprised AMD and nVidia have introduced "hard caps" for power consumption when you run those programs.

What I'm trying to achieve here is simple, really: making sure it's not a power issue.

Cheers!
Alright I'll go home and set fps max to 60 in radeon settings, change monitor Hz to 60 and see if it works. I'm almost certain it won't, cause up until now I've set it to max 90 cause of my monitors freesync range being 35-90 Hz.
I'll be back 😊

Cheers back m8

Jun 7, 2019
No problem.

Let us know how it goes.
You are right. Setting the framerate in radeon to 60 and also in windows results in no crashes. This is just not what the monitor is intended for.

No worries, I found the culprit I believe - the <Mod Edit> display port cable. Way to go Asus, equipping a 144 herz monitor with a cable that can't handle it.
Got a StarTech certified cable delivered today and I've been gaming for an hour on 144 hz with freesync with no crashes - knock on wood.

I monitored the stats while playing and before GPU usage would always be on 100 percent. Now, with the Startech cable, it fluctuates. Temps stay at 70 or there abouts, which is a little lower than before.

Don't wanna jump the gun, but it looks to have fixed the issue. Gonna give it a go for a couple of hours - for investigation sake. It's not like I'm addicted to gaming and haven't been able to sleep for the past couple of days 😊.

Cheers homie

Jun 7, 2019
No problem.

Let us know how it goes.
I spoke too soon. It crashed again this morning. I must have accidentally not have changes the monitors refresh rare to 144 yesterday. It was 60 today, and as soon as I changed it to 144, a half hour of gaming and it crashed.

Is it my corsair cx 750 that needs changing?

Jun 7, 2019

Cheers!
I also noticed that gpu stays at 100 usage and temp is 77 Celsius.

Jun 7, 2019
Ok, let's start with the basic questions about how you have the GPU connected:

What cables are you using to connect the GPU from the PSU?

Cheers!
Regular pci-e cables 16 pins in total. I already took them off and examined them. They are fine. I also took the gpu out and cleaned it as well as I could.

Check it. I went into wattman afterwards and underclocked my gpu slightly from 1500 mhz to 1392 mhz. I set the power supply up with +25. Then in Afterburner I set a custom fan curve hitting 80 percent when temps would reach 60. Let windows look for monitor drivers and installed them. I played for 3 hours without a crash with an average gpu temperature of 65-70 Celsius. Gpu usage stayed at 100 percent in game, but it fluctuated. Performance didn't take a hit.

I don't know which of the procedures fixed it. I hope it will stay fixed.

I'll post if it crashes again.

Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS