[SOLVED] CRITICAL PROCESS DIED (ntoskrnl.exe) - Cause Unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohawkade

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
For the past couple of weeks, my system has been plagued with random BSODs with no apparent cause or trigger to set it off. It happens when gaming or in VR, it happens when working with 3D rendering, video editing and folding-at-home, but it also happens when idle.

Error reports suggest ntoskrnl.exe as the main culprit in most of these incidents, but these reports are unable to pinpoint the exact cause why.

Taking the advice of the BSOD Posting Instructions, I've attached links to the Sysnative BSOD Collection zip and the Resource and Performance Monitor System Diagnostic logs below:

Sysnative BSOD Collection Zip

Resource and Performance Monitor System Diagnostic Log

System Info:

My Suspects in this case:

1) RAM incompatible with motherboard/CPU
(Currently clocked to 2800 Mhz, clocking to full 3000 Mhz leads to more instability yet defaulting to 2133 MHz does not yield in better stability than current clock speeds.)

2) Driver issues
(Unable to determine what driver to which device and a reliable trigger to cause BSOD.)

Attempted Fixes (still unsolved):
  • Uninstalled/Reinstalled or Updated Drivers
  • Updated Windows
  • MemTest - no errors
  • Chkdsk (sfc /scannow)
  • Reseated RAM modules / Changed slots (1&3 to 2&4)
  • Adjusted RAM clock speeds
  • Reinstall Antivirus

Hopefully with a few extra eyes and additional expertise, I can make a stronger determination and hopefully fix for this issue. Thanks for taking the time to assist me with this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
lots of crashes while running Folding at Home

looking at the sysnative file, I can see Critical Process died going all way back to 18th jan when you had 5 BSOD in a quick time period, but they don't show as critical process died.
how new is the soundblaster?

The 1st Critical Process died on 19th Jan shows USBHub3.device enumeration failure which might mean the problem caused by USB device?
Do you have any USB hdd? Are j, K & V internal or external?

that sysnative file only shows the last 5 dumps, can you look in C:/windows/minidump and see if any more in there? More you give us, more chance we figure it out.

I can't read the dumps but I will forward this to a friend who can at least read the 1st 5.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/pkR4bELi
File information:042520-23609-01.dmp (Apr 25 2020 - 03:51:36)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

File information:042520-23218-01.dmp (Apr 25 2020 - 04:03:13)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 56 Sec(s)

File information:042420-24015-01.dmp (Apr 24 2020 - 23:16:14)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7A)
Probably caused by:dxgkrnl.sys (Process: brave.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)

File information:042320-24640-01.dmp (Apr 23 2020 - 07:34:46)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: services.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)

File information:042220-22468-01.dmp (Apr 22 2020 - 18:56:34)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Possible Motherboard page: http://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/x370 killer sliac/index.asp
There are possible BIOS updates for your system. Some may not work on your system or have special requirements. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Any new wacom drivers? newest is from 2010 (on your PC)
  1. Feb 16 2007 - wacommousefilter.sys - Wacom Mouse Filter driver
  2. Sep 21 2009 - wacomvhid.sys - Wacom Virtual HID driver
  3. Oct 29 2010 - wacmoumonitor.sys - Wacom HID Mouse Monitor Filter driver
MIght want new BT drivers
Sep 12 2012 - btwsecfl.sys - Broadcom Bluetooth IT Manager Filter driver (Broadcom Corporation)
what is Glasswire? its from 2015
May 29 2015 - gwdrv.sys - GlassWire Driver https://www.glasswire.com/

and this?
  1. Nov 30 2011 - nuvserenum.sys - Nuvoton Serial Device driver WDM (Nuvoton Technology Corp.)
  2. Nov 30 2011 - nuvserial.sys - Nuvoton Serenum Filter driver
how old is logitech device? Have you tried Ghub instead? replaces LGS - https://www.logitechg.com/en-au/innovation/g-hub.html

Any driver older than 2015 isn't a Win 10 driver, and might be the cause.

since an early BSOD blamed USB, its probably a good place to look. What USB devices are attached?

the KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a) error was caused by DirectX. ALmost everytime I have seen that its caused by GPU drivers. Having latest isn't always ideal with Nvidia
Apr 03 2020 - nvlddmkm.sys - Nvidia Graphics Card driver http://www.nvidia.com/

try running this and use different drivers - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

I can't really tell what caused the other 4. I had noticed while looking through your sysnative file that Nvidia was mentioned but none of those lined up with the criticals.

mohawkade

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
lots of crashes while running Folding at Home

The 1st Critical Process died on 19th Jan shows USBHub3.device enumeration failure which might mean the problem caused by USB device?
Do you have any USB hdd? Are j, K & V internal or external?

No USB Hard Drives:
  • J: is a internal HDD for Games
  • K: is internal HDD for Media, backups and miscellaneous files
  • V: is internal HDD for footage ingest and editing
Existing USB devices include a Shure Microphone, Logitech Keyboard and wireless mouse, OLD Wacom Tablet and Steam Controller.

(Come to think of it, the controller does interfere with Windows booting up when plugged in, going to switch to wireless module to see if that makes any improvements, trick is finding a reliable trigger for a BSOD.)

mohawkade

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/pkR4bELi

File information:042420-24015-01.dmp (Apr 24 2020 - 23:16:14)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7A)
Probably caused by:dxgkrnl.sys (Process: brave.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)

I do use this browser a lot and often keep it open in the background while working on other things, maybe swap back to firefox?

Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

I did uninstall MSI Afterburner, though if this driver is still present, are there other steps to take to remove it entirely?

There are possible BIOS updates for your system. Some may not work on your system or have special requirements.

You are correct, those newer BIOS updates require that I use a 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU. Nothing I can do in that aspect besides upgrade hardware.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You on the highest BIOS version you can install on your CPU so that won't help identifying the Steam controller. Just thought it might have been the bios not recognising controller.

might be a newer version of the AMD all in one drivers, newest installed is from May and newest on website is August last year - http://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/x370 killer sliac/index.asp#Download

running the Asrock App store might show you if any newer drivers than what you have. its on the above link

I wonder what this is - nvrtxvad64v.sys (its only new, dated April, so no info on internet). I could guess its something to do with Nvidia based on their other driver names.

do you use LAN or Wifi?
try running this and see if it finds newer LAN drivers as what is on website is older than whats on PC - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

The overclocking driver wasn't running in the crash I said was Nvidia. I had to look through all the reports to even locate it in the 5th error.
Also, that new unknown driver only shows up on the last 2 BSOD.

Last edited:

mohawkade

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Any new wacom drivers? newest is from 2010 (on your PC)
  1. Feb 16 2007 - wacommousefilter.sys - Wacom Mouse Filter driver
  2. Sep 21 2009 - wacomvhid.sys - Wacom Virtual HID driver
  3. Oct 29 2010 - wacmoumonitor.sys - Wacom HID Mouse Monitor Filter driver
Unfortunitely the Table I own is well over 10 years old, though still perfectly functional, the drivers are no longer being updated. Perhaps unplug the tablet and see how long I last before I BSOD again?

MIght want new BT drivers
Sep 12 2012 - btwsecfl.sys - Broadcom Bluetooth IT Manager Filter driver (Broadcom Corporation)
what is Glasswire? its from 2015
May 29 2015 - gwdrv.sys - GlassWire Driver https://www.glasswire.com/

Ah, looks like Intel did have some updated drivers for these, I also updated Glasswire. Let's see how long I go before I crash again. 😬

and this?
  1. Nov 30 2011 - nuvserenum.sys - Nuvoton Serial Device driver WDM (Nuvoton Technology Corp.)
  2. Nov 30 2011 - nuvserial.sys - Nuvoton Serenum Filter driver

Not familiar with these, looks like some microcontroller drivers. Can't seem to find any updates on their site.

how old is logitech device? Have you tried Ghub instead? replaces LGS - https://www.logitechg.com/en-au/innovation/g-hub.html

Any driver older than 2015 isn't a Win 10 driver, and might be the cause.

I could give it a bash, crossing my fingers

Update: software incompatible with my current Keyboard (Logitech G15)

since an early BSOD blamed USB, its probably a good place to look. What USB devices are attached?
  • Shure Microphone
  • Logitech Keyboard and wireless mouse
  • OLD Wacom Tablet
  • Steam Controller
  • HTC Vive
  • Phone

I'll give that a bash too.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I did uninstall MSI Afterburner, though if this driver is still present, are there other steps to take to remove it entirely?
It was listed in Dump #5 but isn't listed in the newer dumps, so I guess it's gone. Dumps are listed from newest first to oldest last. My software just looks at the drivers listed in each dump and will generate that comment if the driver was found anywhere. So I think it's OK and it's gone.

It's unlikely Brave caused the crash. It usually drivers or hardware and I don't think Brave has any drivers. You can leave it installed for now.

mohawkade

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
UPDATE - Steps Taken So Far:
  • Updated Intel chipset drivers on motherboard
  • No new drivers for Keyboard or Tablet
  • Unplugged Steam Controller and Tablet
  • Reinstalled AMD-all-in-1 (motherboard) drivers
  • Uninstalled AMD Ryzen Master
  • Reinstalled Graphics Drivers with DDU
  • Updated software & drivers for HTC Vive
Experienced 2 BSODs within the following parameters: