Status
Not open for further replies.

tob_ewalker

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
Hello guys and gals,

I have a laptop with me at the moment which is giving the "Critical Process Died" error. I am unable to boot to any safe mode, and during the advanced recovery mode, I can't reset Windows, uninstall updates or run the restore from back up tool. I have tried running an SFC from the CMD and get an error saying it could not perform the requested operation. Check Disk yields similarly crap results.

I have booted with Hiren's and run a malware scan (which found a few bits - removed) and cleaned 4000+ issues from the registry. I also ran their built in testing tool for the HDD, and all seems fine.

I've now removed the drive from the laptop and mounted it to my own, in an attempt to fix it that way. Attempting an SFC gives me the same error again, and the DISM tool also doesn't work. The drive can be accessed etc.

I then ran BlueScreenView to see what the issue was, and it hasn't logged any dumps since the 25/11, which was caused by ntoskrnl.exe. Ideally, I need to avoid formatting the drive and starting again due to software on the drive, but at the moment, can't think of any other way to go about doing this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

probably a good idea to clone the drive before trying the fixes.
often the registry fixers and check operations introduce additional errors if the disk was corrupted

but that's moot. may want to try to clone the drive now and the recovery partition.

reinstall clean and then restore the original c:drive image over it

Hello guys and gals,

I have a laptop with me at the moment which is giving the "Critical Process Died" error. I am unable to boot to any safe mode, and during the advanced recovery mode, I can't reset Windows, uninstall updates or run the restore from back up tool. I have tried running an SFC from the CMD and get an error saying it could not perform the requested operation. Check Disk yields similarly crap results.

I have booted with Hiren's and run a malware scan (which found a few bits - removed) and cleaned 4000+ issues from the registry. I also ran their built in testing tool for the HDD, and all seems fine.

I've now removed the drive from the laptop and mounted it to my own, in an attempt to fix it that way. Attempting an SFC gives me the same error again, and the DISM tool also doesn't work. The drive can be accessed etc.

I then ran BlueScreenView to see what the issue was, and it hasn't logged any dumps since the 25/11, which was caused by ntoskrnl.exe. Ideally, I need to avoid formatting the drive and starting again due to software on the drive, but at the moment, can't think of any other way to go about doing this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.